Peacock/woodpecker call

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Jawbreaker, Apr 4, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

This dude is legit. He kills double digits yearly, between the states he hunts, and almost all are on public land (he has permission to hunt some private land for free in TN). He's a stone-cold killer, and keeps the records to prove it (we all get a pic of each turkey he shoots). I can't count the number of times I have went with him on public land, and he came back with a bird, and noone else did. Only person I know who walked into Bankhead Forest for the first time ever in his life, and walked out with a turkey (it's been said that once a tom hears you call at Bankhead, he remembers your calling style forever, so ya better kill him! LOL). Yes, I am envious...

When I started turkey hunting, he told me: "If a man has killed 30 turkeys, and claims he is great at turkey hunting, stay away from him. I didn't know much about turkey hunting until I had killed over 300.". And he was being serious. :eek:

2. stevena198301

FIL just bought a coyote howler, for that exact same reason...

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Good friend of mine named Jim Spencer always says to "beware the 20-bird expert."

bullpinnie and stevena198301 like this.
  4. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Some of You would apparently be surprised how many mountain birds respond to a well presented Haydel pileated call. Had them answer that Haydel with a shock gobble when that was the only locator call they would answer. Especially mid day. Suit yourself but I don't go in the woods without one.

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Why would I be surprised? I've heard birds gobble at the real thing. Best locator in an area I used to hunt were loud pipes on a pickup. I moved in on several turkeys while they were gobbling at rednecks headed to work.

6. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

In my neck of the woods,even the silent birds will gobble when the train goes over the bridge honking its horn

JP likes this.
  7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Hunting on a property one time with a nearby house, I heard a marital dispute (at least I assume they were married by the intensity of the argument), and it sure set the birds off... Wish I would have recorded it... Makes me wonder if taking my wife out would not increase my success level?

8. Wingmaster

Wingmaster Elite Refuge Member

Primos Peacock call works for me. I've had no luck with owl and crow calls, but the peacock :bow

I was on a guided junior hunt with my daughter, and it was the guides choice for a shock call.

9. stevena198301

Toyota Tundra horn works EVERY TIME. A Ford or a Chevy horn works OK, sometimes... But nothing like a Tundra horn. They can be standing 20 yards from the truck on the side of the road, and I can make em gobble 15 times in a row. I think it is the frequency.

Goose calls work down here some too.

The first turkey I ever shot was next door neighbors to a peacock. Didn't pay it a bit of attention (shock gobble). I think it depends on what the bird hears daily.

JP likes this.
  10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ They recognize Japanese craftsmanship!