Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Peas,,, Peas,,, And More Peas!!!

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by 870, Jul 16, 2016.

1. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

I have been growing peas now for 25 years on my farm,,, and in those 25 years I have never seen so many pea fields as I have in my recent travels around the parkland! And we are not talking a few more fields here and there, it's a lot more everywhere!!! In some local areas, peas are the second most common crop now after canola.

With the recent rains, water is abundant and with all these pea fields, so is a major food source. Certainly this will likely hold and keep the birds well distributed which should spread hunting pressure around which is a good thing,,, but I gotta wonder how loyal the birds will be the to any particular pea field after they have been disturbed when they can have their choice of another 2-6 restaurants with peas as the main course within a couple miles!:scratch

At any rate, I am certainly anticipating that this is a subject that will need extensive in-field research to find an answer to,,, something I am quite excited about doing this fall!!!:grvn

2. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

Good luck with that 870! I envy your research process.

3. schlag

schlag Senior Refuge Member

The area I hunt also has more peas planted than ever before. With all the rain they have been having this growing season they should be just full of peas this fall.

4. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Here is why

5. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Canola is the choice plant in central and northern areas for SK.. More canola this year than I have ever seen.. I am not happy about that because the geese will have less fields to choice from and more hunters asking for permission on those few fields. :(

6. nickle ditch

nickle ditch Senior Refuge Member

Yup, lot's and lot's of Canola down here as well.

7. hammbone

hammbone Senior Refuge Member

How do you guy hide in the peas and lentils. When I went to Canada they are so low cut not much to hide in.

8. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Ghillie up your layout blind with burlap strips, HS farmland gold or even just regular potato sack tan is a decent match. That way you can get away with a lot less natural cover to make decent hide.
    You can also move out of the decoys with your blinds, moving 10 - 15 yards downwind has made big difference for us on some days.

9. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

We use a leaf rake and gather as much stubble as possible. Covering up was much easier when most farmers didn't bail the stalks. Once it was discovered it made good feed everyone started bailing it. The other alternative is hunting from cover like a slough edge or fenceline.

10. CastandBlast

CastandBlast Senior Refuge Member

We just set up a willow blind. First time I saw one ,I said no WAY will this work. Ended up being a great hunt. My layout still is in the cargo trailer but hasn't been used very often since.
    I try to setup the willow blind within a 100 to 150 yds from other willows if possible. But have used it when the field had little to no willows.