Peg Leg

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Brad's Birds, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Walking to where I was going to make a set tonight, I bumped a coyote near the edge of a small finger of woods. It was limping along and with the wind it couldn't smell me, but it walked (limped) back into the woods and disappeared. I went on to my set only about 100 yds from the spot. Set up and waited about 10 minutes then turned on the caller. 2 minutes later from the opposite side of the field 300 yds across out popped a coyote. She came trotting in toward the caller and sure enough she was limping. She came within 50 yds. and I shot her. She turned and ran and I fired a second shot at her butt. She fell about another 75 yds. out. I had hit her with the first shot, just was a bit farther back than it should have been. Her foot was gone, I figure she chewed it off while in a trap. It was all healed and she was in nice shape other than that. When I got her hung up to skin I noticed the tail was drooping funny. While skinning the tail, I found a little bloody nick in the skin and the tail bone was broken. Don't know what the chances are of me hitting the tail with a .223 as she ran away, but that's what it looks like.....maybe that's what killed her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. duck stopper

duck stopper Elite Refuge Member

They seem to be able to recover from some major wounds.

3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Coyotes are really a tough animal. Likely was from a trap but the coyote wouldn't have chewed its foot off. What happens is that the trapper is not using proper equipment. If too large of a trap is used it will hold the leg instead of the foot. The trap was most likely not swiveled properly and when the coyote struggles it ends up breaking its leg and eventually wrings off its foot. Too long of a chain will also allow the coyote to lung and throw its weight against the trap which aids in getting free.
    A proper trap should hold the paw just above the big pad. It should have at least 3 swivel points in the chain and an in-line shock spring. Laminated (thicker) jaws and an offset on the jaws is an added bonus to prevent foot damage.

Nice looking coyote and glad to see you are skinning them instead of leaving them lay.

4. Brad's Birds

I had another friend say the same thing regarding coyotes not chewing their foot off......just the first thing that came to my mind. Still learning on the skinning/scraping/drying part........quite a bit different than birds.

5. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I've put 100's of them stinking things :h Only thing worse is a wolf.

My preferred way to handle a fresh killed coyote was to throw it in a big garbage bag and spray flea killer in the bag and let set for a bit.

Skin it while still warm. Let cool and flesh with a dull fleshing knife. Wash it if you need to get blood out then board it.

North American Fur Auctions has some good info on handling fur if your looking for tips.

6. smackin snows

smackin snows Senior Refuge Member

nothing like the almighty tail shot to get em,:l

7. Brad's Birds

Bought a lottery ticket that night too, but apparently the chances of hitting a coyote tail bone are better than winning a Billion $$

8. Oldhamhunter

Oldhamhunter New Member

Good shot, I killed one once that had a snare chewed off and still choking him.