Pellet gun for turkey hunting?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, May 10, 2013.

1. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

As TooTall said, why not a crossbow, if it's legal??

Buddies son killed a nice gobbler at 50 yds., with a head shot from a gamo pellet gun. No pics:dv

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Crossbows are NOT legal in CA...

After doing some research, I have found that most likely the best gun for the money is a Benjamin Marauder... Friends that have them say they are more accurate and almost as lethal as a .22 LR... And very, very quiet...

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Air_Rifle/1774

One buddy brought over dime sized groups shot at over 30 yards... He is a very good shot with a rifle (me not so much:eek:), but assures me, that at 30 yards I would be able to hit them in the eyeball...

Tough to warrant $460 for an air rifle, but if the crows continue to be an issue in our neighborhood, I am thinking the wife just might get me one.;)

3. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

In MN - no pellet guns or rifles:

Method of taking

Firearms
    • A person may only use shotguns 20 gauge or larger, or muzzle loading shotguns 12 gauge or larger.

• Only fine shot size No. 4 and smaller diameter may be used.

• Red dot scopes are legal.

Bows and Arrows
    • Bows must have a pull of no less than 30 pounds at or before full draw.

• Bows may not be drawn, held, or released by mechanical means, except by permit. A person may use a mechanical device attached to the bowstring if the person’s own strength draws and holds the bowstring.

• Arrowheads must be broadheads that are sharp, have at least two metal cutting edges, are of barbless design, and are at least 7/8 inch in diameter, or must be of a blunthead design. “Retractable” broadheads that meet all other requirements of law are legal for wild turkeys if they: 1) are at least 7/8 inch in width at or after impact, and 2) are of a barbless design and function in a barbless manner.

• No person may use any arrow that is poisoned or has an explosive tip.

I haven't hunted turkey in FL since I moved down here yet - so I'm not sure.

4. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Squaller .. I guess you have the answer:tu
    My Gamo Whisper, sounded like a 22 going off .. ended trading it for a trail cam;)