Perfect jerky

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by bang you'r dead, Oct 2, 2013.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I got a new smoker for Christmas last year, and I've been putting it to good use the last month or so. After some experimentation, I think I have the jerky and smoked breasts down to a science.

For jerky, I've been cutting my birds into 1/4 inch slices and putting them into a commercial mix in a zip log bag in the fridge which i rotate twice a day for at least 48 hours. I have an electric smoker , which allows me to set temp and time accurately. I take the jerky directly to the smoker and spread out on the shelves, set the temp to 220 F and set timer to 1 hour. I also use apple chips on the smoker, each 1/2 hour about 1/4 cup of fresh chips. After 1 hour, I open the vent ( the meat is very moist and wet inside the smoker ) and then I set the timer for an additional 1/2 hour at 220F , with the vent wide open and 1 last batch of wood chips.

Total cooking time is 90 minutes and the jerky is very tender, no wild taste at all (I have used mainly divers and snow geese) a nice smoky flavour , and it melts in your mouth. Awesome.

I've used two different commercial mixes, but the pepperoni and mandarin teryaki are my favorites so far.

16 reheads and scaup didn't make it to noon in the pharmacy today. Staff and customers sucked it all up and came back for more. :tu

As for whole breasts, I have them in a brine for 36 hours (commercial bird and game brine), then I rinse them , let them dry in the fridge for 4 hours, then take them to the smoker, and do them in the smoker for 6 hours at 160F, adding wood chips every hour or so. For the last hour, I baste them with a concoction of plum jam, ginger, garlic, and maple syrup.

Candy.

2. DR CABELA

DR CABELA Banned

call me crazy but my new thing is buffalo duck/turkey/chicken jerky

slice breasts into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices...marinate in Franks Red Hot sauce for two/three days....then dehydrate..

half way through brush more sauce on the meat and then another brushing about an hour before its done

Its good just like that but if you want to kick it up a little just sprinkle some Slap Yo Mama Cajun seasonings or even cayenne on the meat

Its simple and good...I like simple

the smaller you cut the meat the crispier the finished product will be...reminds me of deep fried buffalo wings

3. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

The best jerky marinade.....Smoking Gun marinade. Can be bought at Scheels(not sure where else) or ordered. I've done about 100lbs. since this spring and I can't make it fast enough.

4. jchaps45

jchaps45 New Member

X2 on the Smoking Gun marinades. It is good stuff.