Decoy Forum Sponsors

Permanent decoy spread with Trestle coated decoys?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by ByroB, Mar 30, 2019.

1. ByroB

ByroB Refuge Member

I hunt the Mississippi River and run large decoy spreads. I recently purchased a large amount of older foam decoys and trestle coated them. My question is, will the decoys hold up throughout a season on the water? I put two coats of Trestle coating on them and two coats of waterproof primer. Them I will be painting with Behr Ultra Premuim plus.

2. The Yeti

The Yeti Elite Refuge Member

I quit using burlapped or restle/trestle coated decoys in permanent spreads a few years ago. Despite them being really durable in hand and for daily sets, I really underestimated how much of a beating those decoys take over a season. It pretty well destroyed the coating on them. Once any water could get to the burlap or grit failure was quick and imminent.

Maybe try a couple and see how it goes but I personally would advise against using all of them without testing a couple first.

creedsduckman likes this.
  3. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I don’t think they will last a season left out.

4. ByroB

ByroB Refuge Member

Thank you for the input!

5. Capt. John Stieben

Capt. John Stieben Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

The better the primer job and paint job the longer they will last. I know of some in LA that are out all season, but he does makes sure they are primed and painted really good.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Is the glue degraded by the water or does the media used for texture absorb it?