Permanently fixed my 11-87 cold weather Jamming issues!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Golovkin, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

Sold it and found a 1989 870 magnum special purpose waterfowl edition ;)

Dark satin walnut stock, 26" chrome lined barrel, matte finish with swivel studs. This shotgun is a wingmaster but with a low gloss finish. Shotgun is in perfect condition with factory camo sling, plug and chokes.

I've really been wanting a Benelli SBE, but the wife was vetoing the financial commitment to such an expensive gun. By going with the 870, I'm able to fund it with the sale of my 11-87

I'll miss the 11-87 a little because I've had it for 20yrs, but it just isn't the most ideal gun when hunting ducks in subzero weather because the high velocity steel loads gum her up too quickly. Not saying you can't do it, but you better love cleaning shotguns (that aren't easy to clean) after every hunt, and expect a few jams when its well below zero with humidity.

Really looking forward to Sunday and my first hunt with a pump!

2. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

You went in the opposite direction as me. I hunted with an 870 for years, then bought an 11-87 Premier. Sanded the blue, and painted her with Enron paint on the inside, as well as the outside. I hardly have to oil it after that makeover. BUT...I don't hunt in sub zero temps all that often. Never gives me any problems (knocking on wood). I got tired of the headaches shooting 3" 1-1/4 loads through my 870. After about 6-7 shots my noggin started ringing.

3. Golovkin

11-87 is a great gun in warmer temps, I tried everything to get mine to run reliably in the cold, researched and learned exactly how to tear everything down, clean the gas ports, tried graphite, tried running it dry, tried eezox, mobil 1 synthetic, atf , frog lube, rem oil, and clp - but there is something about high velocity shells creating a very sticky residue in sub zero cold when humid. The only thing I didn't really try was all the different ammo makers. I have a couple cases of Kent and federal that cost a lot, and I wanted to burn them up. I will miss the soft shooting though!

4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

That’s why they call them Jamingtons.

BADLARRY250 and Constructeur like this.
  5. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Shot one of the original 11-87 premiers for a long time. They do require a good yearly going completely thru. As long as I did that and lubed w breakfree clp it kept on ticking thru any weather. Had to keep mag tube powder residue at o ring wiped off after every hunt. Finally stopped shooting it when I started wearing glasses and required more drop at comb. Going to pass it down to my grandson soon as he can shoot full length stock. Hopefully he won,t teach it any bad habits!

6. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I shot an 1187 for years. That gun was my favorite waterfowl gun for a long time, but it wasn't a great option for standing in timber with the lower half of the gun submerge in water ( even with a composite stock). Replacing the recoil, and magazine springs with stainless steel springs ( and routinely cleaning these) is a big help. As is keeping the gas ports clean ( I use RB-17). I also clean the magazine tube, (and rings) with RB-17, and then buff it with steel wool, then wipe with break free. given that routine, most folks won't have any issues regardless of temperatures.

IF you use WD-40 to clean your guns , you will have problems in sub-freezing temps.

duckbuster5901 likes this.
  7. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

My 3 1/2" 11-87 has long been sold. It just did not like the big shells ( what few I put thru it ) and though it felt so nice to hold and swing, it just didnt work worth a darn.
    My 3" 11-87 that I bought new in '93 or '94 is still going strong minus a few new parts here & there.
    Like you said, keep it clean ( I love "RB-17") and keep the spring in the stock dry, and its my favorite gun to shoot.

bullpinnie likes this.
  8. Golovkin

My 11-87 just after a complete tear down and cleaning would be quick, smooth and crisp. After several shots in below zero weather, it would be stiff and gummy from eating its own poop. I think its just the nature of that gas design combined with high velocity shells not burning optimal when so cold. The dirty gas goes into the action and the residue gets stiff in the freezing cold. The colder it gets - the worse it performs. Its a nice shoiting gun, but gets dirty fast and its a real chore to completely clean.

9. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

The Versamax and V3 are very good guns, imo. Run true without cleaning.

10. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

The change in the felt recoil will be brutal.

h2ofwlr likes this.