Pheasant hunters kill grizzly in self-defense MT

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by sdkidaho, Nov 16, 2017.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

2. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

3. molliesmaster

molliesmaster Senior Refuge Member

I didn't think pheasants and grizzlies hung around the same area. But I don't know much about grizzlies.

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Pendroy is along the eastern front of the Rocky Mountains in North Central MT. Grizzly bears have been making their way farther down into lower elevations. I have a buddy in Conrad, probably 40-45 miles as the crow flies Northeast of Pendroy. He has had Griz on his property more than once. He primarily grows hay there but there is wheat - and pheasants - all around him.

5. Big Sky

Big Sky Senior Refuge Member

I read about that in the Billings Gazette a couple of weeks ago. The article said he was using #6 lead and the last shot was 10-12 feet away. If I remember right, the bear didn’t die right away but ran off back to the cub and that’s where they found it dead.

Glad that the hunter was ok. I think we’re all going to have to be more bear-aware out here from now on.