Pheasant situation...

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by labrador, Oct 30, 2017.

1. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to Minnesota.......

2. labrador

labrador Senior Refuge Member

It all adds up to sad days ahead for waterfowl and upland birds along with outdoorsmen and women in SD. I agree with many of the above posters about the changing landscape due to agricultural practices "advancing". I am no farmer hater, but as more farms are absorbed by corporate type farming outfits, less ground will be likely to return to set aside, crp, etc. Many believe the pendulum will swing back and the birds will return. I tend to be more pessimistic when looking at the big picture today.

I wish we had the ability to dictate where our tax money went. I would much rather pay for CRP contracts for farmers that benefit wildlife than SNAP, EBT, Section 8 housing, or the like for folks that are "disadvantaged".

Thanks for the discussion

3. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

CRP isn't accepting any new applications for this year. Last year was really, really hard to get accepted too. I think people want into the program but can't get in. They are at their target acres and won't add any more. It sucks. I think farm prices will force a change over time. Corn is selling for around $2.75 a bushel in my area.....with input costs there is no way to make money. Wheat isn't much better at $4 for winter wheat or even $5 for spring wheat. Beans are holding at around $9.75 and flowers in the $14ish range. Those prices don't allow much money to be made. That marginal land that does not produce well isn't profitable right now. But how long will it take to change?

The area I hunt in the north central part of the state is dismal for pheasant numbers. Walk all day and see a few roosters at best. Get lucky and find a pocket and you can kill a few but it's rare. Relatives in the south central area are saying they are horrible too. A one mile long section of creek that usually held hundred of birds on a good day held only 15 on opening weekend. Things are bad.

SD needs to quit basing their "extra" economy on tourism based activities. Our biggest industry, agriculture, is down. The small towns are hurting because of this. Counting on hunters and fisherman to show up is a recipe for disaster given the current state of habitat and access issues in the state. It is going to be slim pickings for several years to come...

BirdJ likes this.
  4. jpallen

jpallen Elite Refuge Member

Traxion your right I believe 95% of the new applicants were turned down last for the general CRP sing up. Plenty of guys want to place their least productive ground into grass and place easements on wetlands and low areas. I do have a few friends in central SD that have taken ag. ground out of production and turned it back into pasture ground. That isn't the norm though. The conversion of grass into crop ground has really slowed down near the Missouri and west.

5. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Had a tile crew working the soybean ground in the quarter north of where I was duck hunting Tuesday morning. I was within 60 miles of sioux falls. Pattern tile on hill tops, hillsides, down the waterways, and all of that will discharge immediately upstream of the very clean lake I was hunting on. The band marches on, even at $2.80 corn. I did flush 5 or 6 roosters walking in, and a guy that was pheasant hunting as I was walking out shot a double...so still a few birds around I guess.

6. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

Hunted just south of Gregory on the opener. We saw 12 birds between Saturday and Sunday, took two on each day. We normally see around 50-70 birds a day down there in the past.

7. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

Never saw any drain tile in SD until the last four or five years. The glory days for pheasants are over and never to return. I feel the glory days for ducks could be over to in 20 years if this draining keeps moving in the direction it is headed. Just hunted ducks for 6 days in SE SD and saw two pheasants the whole time.

8. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

I think it just more than a down year. With the incredible losses of CRP I dont think pheasant numbers will ever be the same as even 5 years ago. Alot of guys that come to SD these days are shooting pen raised pheasants at alot of these lodges.

9. DRC

DRC Elite Refuge Member

Has there been any move towards more wheat ground since the bottom fell out of the corn market ? More bean maybe ? Do the beans require a rotation ?

10. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

Have you ever talk to the farmer about their feelings on why tiling is so good for them I have been in rooms filled with people from both sides. OMG the elected go out and look around at projects one make statement the water draining looks like drinking water it will never stop till it's too late. I have fought for eight years from the bottom to the top all the way to the Supreme Court only to lose to the effect of tiling I know what is being done nothing.