Pheasant situation...

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by labrador, Oct 30, 2017.

1. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

less wheat hear now days about beans I guess not since the fields to the south of me been beans six years in a row corn to heavy to move no good access to field tiling flood road out eight years ago no one cares.

2. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

Wheat is not very profitable right now. Winter wheat is great for nesting though. Beans and flowers are best this year. Until we get habitat back we are screwed. We made it a long time of the CRP boom days. Now we are paying the price. Talked to guy today who cleans birds in central SD. He usually has cleaned 5000 by now. This year old lyrics 1700 and of those 90% are pen raised. Pay to play operations are buying tons of birds to keep the guns hot.

BirdJ likes this.
  3. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

It has been a better year for hunting pheasants than for shooting pheasants!! We (my dogs and I) are seeing a few more birds with the harvest pretty much done but nothing to get overly excited about. One day (couple hours of hunting) last week we were out and flushed 18 birds of which 16 were hens. I almost felt guilty shooting the two roosters that I did get - hoping there are a few still in hiding so the hens get a chance to raise some chicks next year!! I am not sure where all the carry over roosters disappeared to!! Most of the roosters I have shot this year have been this year's hatch so there was some reproduction!! It would have been a poor year to start out with a new pup but there has been enough activity to keep my 11 year old female and 5 yr old male at least interested in what we are doing!!

4. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

I hear ya Lars's about the carry overs also! I live in a little subdivision just across of a large Walk In Area which is filled rows and rows of evergreen trees, good bunch of food plots and a good amount of CRP and probably have seen maybe a handful of birds since spring.

Our place here is the safe zone for these birds when hunting seasons starts all they have to do is fly or walk across the road and still squat for birds! but heard my first one in sometime yesterday. No hens either what so ever. With that Walk In Area with the great habitat they have there, can't believe that many couldn't make through the winter last year? Is there some kind of disease these birds could be getting that we haven't heard about yet?

5. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

There's no disease that I know of I am sure we would have heard about it was a bad winter in Dec snow than rain 1/4th inch of ice on top of snow never easy on pheasants. Then came a good spring to start than May it got cold and crappy they were five weeks or later behind me I started 10 May with my fake pheasants. There was some re nest very late hatch this year the ones that did didn’t lay as many eggs as the first try weather was are trouble. Out west and other areas it was because it was too hot and to dry they need water 200 chicks drink 2 gallons of water a day they need water when their young and old. Weather played a big part of the population in the NE pheasants don't worry about water around here its are weather and loss of grass land that keeps this area’s population down. In my square mile I may have 15-20 rosters which isn't that many you go outside of that it might be five or less depending on habitat I road hunt a lot. Hens I don't see many and that is not a good sign we need hens most clutches are rooster dominate there nice for hunting hens are needed to keep it going.

6. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Out here the summer was the big killer. No rain = no bugs, no bugs = no food, no food = no pheasants and thus the 65% to 95% drop in numbers in one damn year!

BirdJ likes this.
  7. Extrema1

Extrema1 Refuge Member

Another factor: Corn and beans = Round-up, Round-up = no weeds, no weeds = fewer bugs, fewer bugs= fewer pheasants.

8. pfpres

pfpres Senior Refuge Member

Just got back from our second trip Tuesday. We saw a good number of birds in Nov and did very well with lots of corn still up. This last trip all the corn was out and the number of birds we saw was amazing. It comes down to if you have CRP and food plots you'll have birds. The farmers told us they are worried they have too many roosters left. Wish I could swing one more trip before the end of the season!

9. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

What was the name of the Hunting Preserve you were hunting at?;) LOL

10. pfpres

pfpres Senior Refuge Member

We've been going to the same farms for the last 22 years. Don't believe in shooting pen birds in SD. :tu

BirdJ likes this.