Pheasant situation...

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by labrador, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

CRP certainly helps, if you can find it as it is RARE anymore. My inlaws have 2 quarters of CRP (along with food plots) and still don't have much for birds. Lots of chicks early, but the heat and drought just killed the crap out of them. We need the conditions to be perfect to get a bounce back after this year. Pockets of birds was how it used to be before the CRP boom, and we are back there today. If you like walking you certainly can find a limit....but you better be OK with being short many days too.

2. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

Some of the roosters seem to be coming out of hiding - too bad the temperature is so nasty!! I managed to get a couple of limits of roosters last week on days when the temp was over 5 and the wind under 15 mph!! My son bought me a pair of battery operated glove liners and they are the real deal for that nasty weather!! No way would I have been able to stand the cold without them!! The charge is good for about 3 hours and that is about all i am good for any more anyway. Old age sucks!!! LL

BirdJ and Mean Gene like this.
  3. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

You ain't lyin' there. Every year that goes by I break easier and heal harder. :l:l

BirdJ likes this.