Pheasants 2017

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by SWIMallard, Jul 5, 2017.

1. SWIMallard

SWIMallard New Member

Last year my group and I had a great time waterfowl hunting in the central part of the state. We noticed a few pheasants in the area we were hunting and of course hadn't purchased an upland liscene. This year we have decided to chase some roosters as well and maybe a grouse or two. We've been checking out the western/southwestern part of the state as a target locational coming out Oct 18-22. Just seeing if you fellas could throw in a few helpful hints about hunting over in that area( as to public access/ plots) and bird numbers. Not looking to run into anyone's secret areas, but looking to make the 12 hour drive an enjoyable one! Thanks!

2. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Severe (if not Extreme) drought across much of ND's main pheasant range. The lack of moisture may reduce hatch and brood sizes. More importantly, the CRP grass will start (if not already started) to be cut via ND Gov declaration.

PLOT land is not off limits to this emergency cutting.

Cattail sloughs will be burned off (this is more NW, Central, SC, SE).

Never know when (if) rains come to ND prairie (could be a wet late summer) ... but it could be a very dry, smokey fall with limits on off road and two track travel.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    jrdukslr likes this.
  3. molliesmaster

molliesmaster Senior Refuge Member

Pardon my ignorance, but why in the world would ND gov want to cut CRP?

4. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Emergency haying contingency to make up for lost hay from normal hay ground. It happens in about 1 out of every 5 years and needs to happen anyway to keep the crp healthy. Plus it maxes out at 50% I believe and they can't start till most all nesting is done. As for the birds the winter knocked them down a bit but over all they are likely to have a good summer. The drought has had just enough rain to keep insect numbers good and grass thick enough to hide well still being warm and dry around mid June when it's hyper critical that it not be cold and wet so the chicks can survive. Good pheasant ground south and west of the river tends to be extremely heavily posted with farmers tending to have far more love for roosters and deer then you they do ducks and geese and both use the same habitat.

5. snowbird

snowbird Senior Refuge Member

I live just outside bismarck and there are pheasants all around my house. Sometimes I'll have dozens in my yard. I haven't seen a single pheasant brood yet. It is dry. We haven't had much rain and we have no bugs to speak of which is important to young pheasants. It's hard to say for sure at this point but I'm not counting on much by the looks of things.

6. trashman

trashman Senior Refuge Member

7. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

You are looking at the the worst days to find land to hunt on. The weekend of the 18 to the 22 are Teachers Convention days in both ND and Minn. Those days are when everyone can bring their kids to hunt in ND. This is not an exaggeration.Ask anyone who has hunted here those days. And there isn't as much PLOTS or WPA's Southwest of Bismarck.

8. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Oh that's MEA weekend....God that weekend fricken sucks! That's now the annual start to the hunter surge in my area as the hard core guys all start coming in the following weeks gearing up for the main push of birds especially snows.

9. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

If you are focusing on pheasants ... you will do fine.

We were out there last year during MEA and saw few other hunters in the area we hunted on Thursday and Friday. Most that we talked to were older hunters.

Saturday was busier, but most were North Dakotans that were hunting a couple fields for Canada Geese (few and far between except wised up Greaters). We did fine on a mix of ducks and pheasants.

We made Sunday a travel day and I will admit going home - we took a couple detours and a few areas were crazy with hunters. I suppose the lack of birds would make field hunting highly competitive

Our intentions were not to chase pheasants too much, but the weather was mostly bluebird and migration in a lull (we knew this going in and it is why I picked an area that would have both). Ducks flew well from first crack of light until 30 minutes after sunrise. We used small spreads and were pheasant hunting pretty quick after the ducks quit flying. My young son had some fun jump shooting ducks too.

We see very few ND kids hunting on their teacher conference days (except the ones that used to hunt with us). A lot of kids that play football are busy those days. Others hunt youth deer or maybe they travel to other destinations with their dads.

Gotta tell ya that most ND pheasant hunters spend a high portion of their time road hunting and waterfowl hunters are driving around scouting. Even if the area appears crazy with hunters ... you will find most pheasant spots open to those willing to walk the prairie.

10. snowbird

snowbird Senior Refuge Member

I don't know what others have seen but I still haven't seen a brood of pheasants. Talked to a farmer by Wishek and he's seen one brood this year. I've talked to a lot of people and no ones seeing broods out west. I hope it looks better in other areas but central ND isn't looking good.