Pheasants 2017

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by SWIMallard, Jul 5, 2017.

1. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

GNF hasn't posted their road brood counts yet. But rumors going around are that they will reduce the daily limit to 2 or even 1 per day. That would be drastic and would cut their license fees by millions. Should know pretty soon.

2. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Not sure why they would you can't bank roosters but that said they definitely got smashed by the drought.

3. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

To spread the harvest around.

4. djkolness

djkolness New Member

I've seen very few pheasant broods this year compared to the last five years or so. I didn't expect the drought to bother them much but it appears it has. That's in the Williston area.

5. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Rumors by ??

ND has already published their 2017-2018 small game proclamation with a stated pheasant limit of 3 birds. To change now would be an enforcement nightmare.

https://gf.nd.gov/gnf/regulations/docs/smallgame/small-game-guide.pdf

6. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

Hadn't heard that rumor and I would be surprised to see the limit decreased at this time. I do expect it to be a tough season.

7. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

PH.....yup you are correct. Wonder if they could still do it.

8. snowbird

snowbird Senior Refuge Member

I drove all over central ND chasing doves and geese and fishing walleyes the last four days. Saw 1 pheasant, heard another and saw three grouse. Upland is going to be dismal this fall.

9. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

I saw a young pheasant two days ago. A hawk was eating it. Other than that I can not remember the last time I saw a pheasant up here. Pheasants up here did great this past winter up until it warmed up for a few days and then got cold again. Then we had that last blizzard. After that birds were rarely seen. The locals up here released over 4,000 this spring and I bet they are now wishing they waited till the fall. Pot holes are dry as a bone. Some that I have never seen dry are now dried and cracking. CRP is being hayed and cattails burnt. The other problem up here is I would say 80% of the crops are canola and beans. Goose/duck fields are far and few so I can't wait to see the circus for available fields. It will for sure be an interesting season for all species birds! Not sure how it is out east but since their drought map looks a lot better I assume the potholes are better there. Good luck as even bad days in ND are better than great days in most states!!!

10. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

Dean have you spotted any sandhills yet? I usually see/hear them mid August but nothing yet. Also seems to be a lot of single and honker pairs flying around in all different directions. Maybe searching for water? My buddy said he saw some water the size of my driveway the other day and it was filled with geese.