Pheasants Everywhere!!

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by BirdJ, Jun 7, 2012.

1. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Can't believe the number of pheasants around here!!! Last winter was VERY mild so a lot of birds made it through!!! I don't think you can go a mile with out seeing at least 10 birds or more!! Had a great hatch also:tu Saw one group of chicks with a hen crossing the road and there were 12 in that group alone and were already flying. I'm quessing that she picked up some strays from a hen that was killed but they are all over the place. Should be an awesome season!!:yes

2. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Thats good to hear. I know my buddy even in ND said the same thing. Coming off a few bad winters in a row its nice to see them get a mild one.

3. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

.....we had them like that here in central illinois (but nothing compared to the dakotas).....then we had 2 severe winters with blizzards and the pheasants just disappeared and have never
    returned in any great numbers.
    I did hear some bobwhites yesterday morning!....haven't heard or seen any of those for several years.

4. BirdJ

NO habitat I take it?

5. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

No Cattle=no Pasture=no Fences=no Pheasants. Along with that we have VERY FEW Hedge (Osage Orange) ROWS still standing.
    If you can find a good OLD farm with the above-mentioned ingredients still standing you will find Birds (Quail and Pheasants).....but finding a farm with those ingredients still standing is about as likely as finding an Honest Politician here in Illinois.
    If you've seen the Movie "HOOSIERS" you might recall Gene Hackman and that gal walking down a hedge row on her parents old rundown farm. THAT'S the kind of "OLD" farm land I grew up around and it was always loaded with Quail and, a few years later, Pheasants.....then a few years later...no game birds at all.

6. BirdJ

Just wondering if we will see a second hatch of pheasants this year? Been running up and down the HWY's early in the mornings and late afternoons going to and coming back from fishing and have seen a bunch of hens and roosters on the shoulders but no little ones. I saw some little ones even flying already at least four weeks ago. If we do have another hatch before the road ditches get mowed and the wheat fields are combined, lions and tigers and bears OH MY are we goint to have the pheasants!!!!:grvn