Phils BACK!!

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by summerjack, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Slough Smell

Slough Smell Senior Refuge Member

2. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

For the record, the body part comparisons were not scripture quotes. Nor was the delivery what many would argue should and would come from one who has as their primary concern the conversion of those living in sin.

tcc, await eel's lecture about how the 'corporate' non-duck hunters he talks to have told him otherwise, thus invalidating your observation.;)

3. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

okie drake - thanks for the warning. ;)

That's odd - my non duck hunting friends were the ones who went to a Chic-Fil-A last year for the very first time... And they had to travel to get to it - at the time there was only one in Minneapolis on the U of M campus.

4. BLKHEAD

BLKHEAD Elite Refuge Member

better than advocating that they go around spreading their legs to every pecker that walks by aint it? 16 is marrying age in some states.

5. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

True, the body part comparisons were not Biblical, but they were correct, anatomical terms, from what I read, as opposed to words that might have been used. So, I don't really get the outrage over their use in the media.:scratch

6. pintail2222

Had Phil used less offensive language - had he tempered his comments and choose his words a bit more carefully maybe if he had he used the term "twerking" in place of the offensive term that he did use to illustrate his POV - then eel river possibly would not have been sooooo offended.

7. okie drake

Well, from the media perspective, it was the whole thing. Wouldn't have mattered. It's the opposition everything about his view presents to their mantra.

From say, mine...it's more about an elder in the church using crude terminology and being abrasive rather than welcoming. One can stand on the truth but do so in a manner that's loving. It's an incredibly difficult task that I personally often do not do well on at all, but I know men that I admire a great deal who do pull it off. They have impacted others in ways I can't describe and they did/do so primarily because the first reaction is to notice how they're expressing God's love for/to the sinner. Contrast that with Phil's remarks. Speaks for itself.

When the lost feel loved rather than attacked or condemned, it's then that one stands a chance of converting them. Far too many see such as compromising the truth when in reality it's quite the opposite.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Okie while I certainly get where you're coming from, being nice about it doesn't work for everyone. There are plenty of non believers who would have no problem with the way he said it, and in many cases it's likely to be received by them much better that way that from some soft spoken preacher. There are all kinds of people in the world, and it takes all kinds to reach them. He was a little crude, but we're too used to things being sugarcoated and pc. Anyone that reads the article and has any sense can see he wasn't attacking anyone.

9. pintail2222

"Crude" in context of an interview for GQ magazine and it's audience? No. "Crude" in context of an interview for Christianity Today magazine and it's auduence? Yes.

10. okie drake

Don't have to actually be attacking to use words and tone that can be taken that way despite having the opportunity and ability to deliver a better message. That's something that speaks to me as I've been guilty of the same far too often.

Yes, Phil was 'right'. Is it about being 'right' or about converting the lost? If you conduct yourself in a manner where it's one or the other, then you've already lost. I frankly think that's a far more important message to come out of this than the topic that it was really about.