Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

phone call last night from the ALABAMA STATE TROOPERS ASSOC.

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by timber71, Sep 1, 2004.

1. timber71

timber71 Moderator<br>Alabama Forum

Last night a capt from the ALABAMA STATE TROOPERS ASSOC. called and said they are having a teddy bear fund drive goin on, and was wanting to know if i would send a gold,silver or broze donation.

well if i remember right the gold was only $35 for the donation, so i told them; ok

has anyone been contacted by them for this?

i asked the trooper" if i donate will you let me go on a speeding ticket? he laughed ad said no we cant do that but we do appreciate your donation" :l

2. CutTheDrake

CutTheDrake Elite Refuge Member

You have to be careful about those associations. A good many of them are not affiliated with local law enforcement. They send a very small portion of the profit to law enforcement.

3. timber71

well when the package arrives i grant you this..i will be calling the trooper office up nearby and see if its legitamate. thanks for the heads up

4. Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen Elite Refuge Member

always ask if 100% of the money is going to the cause and/or you a state trooper

my wife worked for the city/state for 35+ and i think she cought me being dumb on several occassions:yes

5. FeathrSpreader

FeathrSpreader Senior Refuge Member

The last time I sent a donation to one of those kinds of groups I got calls from every similar group out there.

The Troopers Association
    The Sherrifs Association
    The Police officers Widows and Orphans Fund
    The Fire Fighters Association
    The Fire Fighters Widows and Orphans Fund
    ETC
    ETC
    ETC.

Evidently, as part of their fund raising they sold my phone number to every other similar organization out there with a big star by it sayin "HE GAVE, CALL HIM!"

Now, I just tell them I will not be donating anymore, and it is because of the above. Before I give anything else, I always ask if it is local, and where the money is going.

I give to my Church, I give to places like Big Oak Ranch, and to local schools, and local organizations.

A man can only give out so many $20 bills before he is broke.

6. timber71

feather spreader yer right a man can only give so much money before he is broke. but what if yer already broke :l

no seriously thanks for the tip, i did talk to a state trooper the other day and he said it was a legitamate deal. but got me a number to call for the percentages to how much goes where.

but i think i still will donate to some of these organizations. its like kids and schools, they have a car wash or selling candy and we bite but when it comes to donating to state organizations whether it be troopers,sheriffs,firfighters, etc we dont bite. only thing im saying is a person dont have to donate to all of them, thats freedom of choice. and thats how i will act out.

7. FeathrSpreader

They may all be great organizations, I just don't know. Like CTD said many of those kinds of organizations don't leave a lot of your donation in state and also take a big % out to cover the cost of fund raising. In some cases 20-30% may wind in the hands of the companies that make those calls for those organizations.

It got to the point after I gave to the Troopers about three years ago that I got at least one call a week from simliar type organizations. It has taken me two years to get off some of those list. And even today I still get calls occasionally, but only when the caller ID is a little late in picking up the number.

My new policy is not to give to anybody that solicits over the phone unless I know them. My first priority is Church, #2 is local schools and charities, #3 is anything else that I think is a worthy casue if I have anything left.

8. Rick618

Rick618 Elite Refuge Member

I dont miss not having a ma bell phone for just those reasons.

But, for a good cause that you can get something out of as well:

http://www.m-ms.com/us/news/promotions/komen/index.jsp

This is for m&m's, this fall they will be selling pink and white ones with 50cents of every bag going to breast cancer research through the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

9. timber71

feather, i agree church tithes should come 1rst then go from there

i know what yer talking about when you say once you agree to send one org. monies, then you have a million organizations calling.

i know of a few people that send certain organizations money ( like the flocal fire dept, and police divi.) and go through the extensive phone calls.

when them telemarketing folks call, it does get bothersome. but the way i handle it it i screen all my calls. let it ring and let the voice mail pick up. but sometimes a person like myself gets in a hurry and thats when i picked it up the other night.

10. FeathrSpreader

I think I managed to avoid that call the other night. The Caller ID# was from the "STate of Alabama" which usually means one of two things: Either the Alabama Alumni Association or one of the many different Police or Fire organizations. So I let the answering machine get it.