Photography Forum Issues......

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Chester - TN, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chester - TN

Chester - TN Elite Refuge Member

There seems to be a few unhappy campers here.....

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Chester

2. JakeSullivan

JakeSullivan Senior Refuge Member

Why can't Dizzy be a moderator?

3. Chester - TN

Dizzy had some issues with our SPAM policy.

To be more specific, placing links to a commercial web site in one's signature.

4. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

So Thats what this is all about!

Jesus Christ Man, it was a link to image galleries to share photo's with others on here!

Besides that, My website is of no interest nor competition to any sponsor on this site whatsoever nor would anyone on here have a need for my services in any way!

In the meantimne it's seems perfectly ok with you guys that our posted copyrighted images end up on other commercial sites.

Thats pretty bad Chester!

Thats the whole reason behind things here Chester is you guys unwillingness to contact individuals with a complaint or a hint about what they might be doing wrong but instead just holding grudges. You now if someone makes a mistake, it would be nice for a little common courtesy to bring it to their attention before it goes too far!

You never answered my PM's. I even contacted you and others about becomng a sponsor and never was answered in return.

I don't even know you my friend nor do you me! I'm not a bad person and I'm pretty easy going!

If you weigh all that I and others have done to contribute to this forum, against a silly little mistake that I really knew nothing about before it was too late and had no reason to hold things against you guys then I guess things are better this way!

I apologized to Erik for that mistake a long time ago!

I can tell you one thing ! There are plenty of links to commercial sites in these post that are not on the sponsors list throughout the various forums!

I personally think this goes a lot deeper than just that! And God only knows what or why!

If you guys can't appreciate the things that I and others have done for this forum then so be it!

You treat us like a bunch of school children! God help us if we make a boo boo!

I'm really sorry that things have to come to this but what do you expect of me and the others?

Jim

5. Chester - TN

We have some simple guidelines here at the refuge and we expect our members
    to follow them. After all, they agreed to them when they registered.

There is no way we can monitor every post and every member.

I can only take action on things I see and/or reported to me.

I do not have a grudge or any other feelings in this matter.

I first saw the link 10/28/08. I removed it.
    I checked again 11/21/08. It was back and I removed it again.
    I checked again 12/10/08. It was back and I removed it again.
    I checked again 03/09/09. It was back and I removed it again.
    I checked again 03/18/09. It was back and I removed it again.
    That is when I blocked your signature function.

The PM you sent me accused me of singling you out.

Quite the opposite. I give folks a fair chance.

That was the only PM I received from you.

And no I was not going to reply to your unwarranted accusations in your PM.

I have no idea about our "unwillingness to contact individuals with a complaint".

I have never received a PM or email complaint about this Photography Forum. Ever.

6. Chester - TN

Here is a link to our forum guidelines......

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=542781

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you WILL NOT post/display any Images
    or Text that is in violation of any copyright laws. (This includes "hot linking" - using another
    site's bandwidth) By doing so, you may subject yourself to a lawsuit by the owner of the
    material. Most websites state their copyright policies on their site and you are encouraged
    to abide by those policies. The Refuge Forums, and it's owner(s) are NOT responsible for any
    copyright violations created by ANY of it's users. We will however be glad to remove any posts
    that violate a copyright law in a fair amount of time once it has been brought to our attention,
    and we have responded to your request.

Implying that the Refuge be held responsible for photo theft and/or what is displayed
    on other web sites is unreasonable.

7. splashdownOU

splashdownOU Senior Refuge Member

I have a simple Idea RIGHT CLICK DISABLE THE PHOTO FORUM!

8. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

You've done a fine job here keeping records and making my point for me!

Like I said, I had no idea what was going on with the signature and had no idea at who or why the link was being removed until I guess it was Erik who finally told me why and it was never posted again.

It was a link to personal picture galleries, on yes, my commercial website, but to the galleries only. We all host images on a commercial site called Photo Bucket or others.

I said before that the was never any intent to SPAM or sell any thing.

I have never ask for a penny for my services from anyone. If anyone here thinks that I have ....Speak up now!

Quite Frankly its been the opposite by far!

I sit here at home or in my commercial studio and give tutoring, mentoring and instruction on this craft for free. I let folks email me photos to fix and spend time working on time for free!

I spend hours every week answering emails, Pm's and questions in this forum for free.

The only compensation I expect for all the above and more is a simple THANKYOU!

Anyone on this forum or entire refuge could come to me for this type of stuff and expect the same!

I do this because I like this website and most of the people on here. I have made many friends on this forum and I have shared my common interest and knowledge with them and not ever expected anything else in return.

So Thats It Chester! Perhaps I'm just stupid or somethng. You Rekon?

Jim

9. Blue Moon

Blue Moon Senior Refuge Member

Chester, first and foremost, my utmost gratitude to you and yours for hosting the Photography Forum on Refuge and secondly, thank you for taking an interest in the growing concerns of our community that you helped create. Since you?ve expressed your willingness to answer questions I would hope that you would first take the time to better understand a few of the concerns.

Over the past few years the Photography Forum has attracted some of the best wildlife photographers in the world. True there are many outdoor photography forums available to those of us that travel the world and shoot for pleasure or our livelihood. In many of those communities our work is held in high regard and our imagery is bestowed mega kudos, however few of our colleagues on the mainstream forums are kindred spirits. On most of those sites few of our peers believe that it?s OK to shoot with your Benelli as well as your Canon.

In that regard Refuge has become the lodge where the best waterfowl photographers gather after our time afield and share our harvest and tell our wetland tales. The talent and accomplishments of the members of this forum without a doubt is a huge draw for Refuge. While our imagery is the initial draw for many, one of the most amazing aspects of the Photography Forum is the unbridled willingness of the world class shooters among us to mentor new shooters that come here to learn the craft from true artists. While many of us take the time to mentor new shooters and do our best to give back to the community, perhaps none of us do more in this regard than Dizzy.

Several of us, including myself, have been requesting an active and elder mod since Tom W has been unable to participate to help Erik. Tom was an outstanding mod and helped make the Photography Forum what it is but as far as I can tell via a search his last post in the Photography Forum was over a year ago way back in June 2008 and that post was really just to let us know he was indeed OK because he had been inactive since early 2008.

After Tom indicated that his life was far too busy to participate, since I had around 900 mainly instructional and mentoring posts on the forum I approached Erik privately and offered to help him Mod since there was an obvious gap that needed to be filled. My offer to help out was rejected. With the best interest of the forum in mind I encouraged Erik to seek out another Mod with experience such as Dizzy or any number of other extremely talented shooters among our tribe.

While it took an additional six months for any sign of hope in this matter to materialize, like many of the avid members of the forum I was very encouraged when Erik posted a sticky that stated that Dizzy was going to be a Mod. In hindsight, perhaps Erik jumped the gun with the post but it was encouraging news to all that saw it.

The wheels fell off the wagon when Dizzy was shot down as our Mod. To put our collective dismay in a clear light that anyone should be able to understand, perhaps you didn?t realize that Dizzy spent 17 years with National Geographic Magazine. National Geographic was the Holy Grail that many of us grew up and drew inspiration from. As an example, I now have well over a 100 country stamps in my passport from a lifelong journey that was partly inspired in my youth by this publication.

The fact an annoucement was made that Dizzy was going to be the new Mod and then he was unceremoniously and publically turned down to be a Mod on this site was shocking and frankly very insulting to most of us in the industry. Sir to attempt to put the blunder in perspective, if we could turn back time I suspect that given the opportunity you would have been the editor that made the decision to turned down Gordon MacQuarrie and Nash Buckingham to be your featured outdoor writers or for that matter had you owned the Red Sox you would have traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees and lived with the curse of the bambino for your remaining days?.

For Heaven?s sake, Dizzy rubbed shoulders with the great Ansel Adams and has willingly passed along his years of experience to those that previously looked forward to spending time in our lodge, including the pros and amateurs alike. One of the great ones in our tribe is Wack from ESPN and Outdoor Shooter fame. He recently referred to Dizzy as the Pro?s Pro. He also referred to the decision to keep him from being our mod as mindless. The outdoor shooters of the tribe tend to follow WACK and Dizzy.

The fact is that few, if any, have made as great a contribution to this site that Dizzy has made over the years. He has made a positive and substantial impact on many lives of those that participate on this forum.

Again treating Dizzy in this manner is truly shocking and insulting behavior that grieves the kindred spirits of this Forum that hold him in high regard. We can only hope that your decision was made in hast and without the facts that I?ve presented. Some wrongs unfortunately can not be made right but perhaps with the additional insight you?ll attempt to remedy the situation. If not, like the great flight, the migration takes wing when the roost no longer provides the desired substance.

In any case, again many thanks for hosting our Refuge. Without a doubt, for many seasons it has been my favorite place to fellowship with my friends after spending the day afield.

Blue Moon

10. colinz

colinz Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for taking the time to put this so eloquently Geryl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.