Picking a Litter Questions

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by serper3, Feb 19, 2018.

1. serper3

serper3 New Member

Thank you, I picked a litter last week and have my deposit in already.

Pup can't come soon enough!

2. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Tell me about the litter......breeder, sire, etc. Thanks.

3. Labsforme

Labsforme Senior Refuge Member

Hey Slick, you run trials? If so what dog(s)? We may have met if so.

Jeff

4. serper3

serper3 New Member

Wind River Labs
    Whiskey x Penny litter
    http://www.gooddoginfo.com/gdc/asp/viewpedigree.asp?DogNo=113142

I am looking for a good house dog that will retrieve when i hunt. I will obviously train the pup to the best of my ability but i am not sure if I will dive into the FT/HT world. i would like to hunt test here and there to keep the dog in practice.

5. Slick

I wish you the best of luck.

6. Slick

Hey tell me if you would. What did you pay for the pup?

7. serper3

serper3 New Member

The pup is $1250. Money was not really an issue. I spent quite a while looking for breeders and was not thrilled with what i was seeing as far as how the sires, dams, pedigrees, breeders, etc., fit with what i was looking for.

8. Slick

Yo Serper3.....it appears you pulled the trigger quickly on a pup. You said you had been looking for a long time at breeders/lineages and all I can say is you were looking in the wrong places. Pup/litter you picked....surprised you selected due to the absence of hardly anything of accomplishment in the lineages of both the sire and dam. Litters/pups I told you I had a line on are loaded w/ sire/dam grandsire/grand dam achievements. These pups usually sell for $2500-3000.......the $1200 you spent is on the cheap for a quality breeding. Not trying to be critical of you but your selection is a far cry from what you originally posted as to what you wanted. If you change your mind let me know.

9. serper3

serper3 New Member

I think i am seeing what Dorkweed was talking about....

Slick, i think you you misunderstood what i was looking for. Or you understood and are just extremely persistent.

I was curious about how important dam and sire titles are - but i am definitely not setting my sights to win any national titles. I said i am interested in tests and might do it to benefit the dog - I never had any intentions of being competitive.

I also know a lot of people who have dogs from local breeders focusing on dogs for hunters. A lot of the dams and sires have no titles whatsoever and these are great dogs I am sure i would be super satisfied with. That said I can't justify spending close to triple on a pup... especially for potential I will likely never fully experience. I want to train the pup myself and think spending that much on a pup out of high achieving sire/dam me train it would be pointless and a disservice to the dog. Kind of like someone who is brand new to shooting skeet buying a perazzi to help their scores.. only they don't actually shoot skeet- they just shoot station 1 high house targets all day long.

10. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

What you are missing is there are lots of good dogs out there at a discount. The market is flooded and there are some FC sired pups are that smart and highly trainable but you have to be patient and know where to look.