Pickled egg recipe

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by weatherby, Dec 21, 2005.

1. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

picked up my pickling spice tonite and found out that there is a 300% difference in prices, with the lowest being FF at 6oz for $2.50. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference for a couple of 1/2 gal jars of eggs, but for 30x 1/2 gal of fish this spring, it really could...

2. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Pickling spine:
    ingredients

2 tablespoons mustard seeds
    2 tablespoons whole allspice
    2 teaspoons coriander seeds
    2 teaspoons whole cloves
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
    1 bay leaf, crumbled
    1 cinnamon stick (2 inches)

3. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

A friend of mine uses the above dill pickle juice method for his eggs and loves them...I don't eat them ,personally. He says the secret is to leave them in the 'fridge for a long time. He eats the pickles during the NCAA tournament, fixes the eggs after the Final Four, then eats them while watching Razorback football.

4. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

AS an aside on the pickle thing- i open all dill pickle jars upon purchase and add some fresh garlic cloves and a few jalepeno slices- cap and leave for 7 days or so in frig- gives them a bit of a bite and very good.

5. harlee79

harlee79 Senior Refuge Member

I just throw a few eggs in a jar that had sliced jalapeno's in it. Super easy and no fuss, just like what other folks said with dill pickles. I eat them the next day not sure how long they would last but too good to last anytime in my house.

6. TonyMo

TonyMo Elite Refuge Member

1 - one litre wide mouth mason jar (I think thats about 2 pints?)
    250ml (1 cup) water
    250ml (1 cup) pickling vinegar (has higher acidity than regular white vinegar)
    1 teaspoon pickling spice
    1 teaspoon course salt
    1 teaspoon whole pepper corns
    one slice of onion
    12 hot banana pepper rings.
    2 gloves of garlic (smashed)
    8 hardboiled eggs - peeled (probably 10 would fit in the 1 litre jar but would use less water/vinegar because of displacement)

--put the water, vinegar, pickling spice and course salt in a saucepan and heat to not quite boiling.
    -- put the pepper corns, onion slice, banana pepper rings, garlic and hardboiled eggs into the jar
    -- fill the jar with the hot vinegar/hot water liquid mix to cover the eggs and about a 1/4" from the top.
    Put the lid on and place in the fridge. Wait as long as you can before trying one. They get real tasty after about a week. Enjoy with a cold beer, dried pepperoni and sharp cheese. :grvn

Tips: The eggs I had on hand were in the fridge and probably about two weeks old. Older eggs definately peel easier than fresh eggs.
    Start with the eggs in cold water and bring to a boil. I boiled about 15 minutes then immediately drained the hot water and added cold water. The idea is to cool the eggs quickly. This makes them easier to peel and keeps the yolks yellow rather than the greenish/grey look. Keep the jar in the fridge. This is NOT meant to be left out.
    Oh and don't be alarmed when the clove of garlic turns blue in the jar. That just happens to garlic after soaking in vinegar.

[​IMG]

7. CutEmAll-Boyz

CutEmAll-Boyz Senior Refuge Member

I can't remember where I have it written down but you will probably come across it on google if you search at all. It is very simple: Apple cider vin., whole cloves and cinnimon sticks. I know it sounds sweet but it really isn't in the egg....SO GOOD

8. Fish Head

Fish Head Refuge Member

I used TonyMo's recipe this past weekend & pickled 2 dozen eggs....now I'm chomping at the bit trying to wait it out for 7 days...thanks for the recipe - can't wait to try them!!

9. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Some of the world's most infamous farts came from pickled eggs..:yes:yes

10. Sankers

Sankers Refuge Member

Made me a batch with some peppers and hot smoked sausage. Probably break it open for Thanksgiving.
    [​IMG]