Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Picture of the Day

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by rdj.olympia, Jul 6, 2015.

1. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Ok some time ago I was a regular on Huntingsnows.com as many of you were as well(I was Oly1). It was a great way to get your snow goose fix and the closer the season got the more you connected with others on the website. I know come September/October I was looking at the site 8-10 times per day to get the latest reports. I have to say that it seems like part of me and the fraternity of friends I had died since HS is no longer the meeting place that it used to be. It was a great site where you could share interests, in-site and exchange ideas on how to hunt snow geese and exchange other things that were important to you. I don?t think that it is possible to bring that site back but would be great to have another outlet where one can feed their snow goose addiction. I know on the site there was a time that I shared pictures and a story about snow goose hunting that ran for some time and offered people a place to post pictures and just as importantly give people a reason to check in. So I am going to try to restore some level of community and by all means if you have any pictures you would like to share post it here. I am sure many of you miss Reg and the great pictures he posted on a regular basis. So I will start with my story and hope other can add something, anything and maybe we can get a few guys back and see if we can put some life back into a snow goose thread.

Hope you enjoy rdj.olympia aka Oly1

So the first picture is of my grandfather and friends who used to hunt Saskatchewan in the late 60?s and I can still remember the 8mm films we used to watch and all the ducks and geese they used to shoot. Always amazing to see them unload them with a wheelbarrow. What is amazing is back then I think the limit was 8 ducks, and 8 geese 3 of which could be snow geese.

[​IMG]

I have been blessed to be able to hunt Canada with my son once and the most amazing thing is we are staying in a town only 20 miles from where my grandfather used to hunt and warms my heart to think that we might be driving some of the same roads that he traveled.

[​IMG]

With my son back in 2009

[​IMG]

This is the perfect limit not likely to be repeated in my lifetime. For 3 guys we had 20 snows, 5 canadas, 3 specs and 8 greenheads per person. A total of 108 birds and the most amazing part was we had one more shooter who got in a p_ssing match about politics and left the next morning before the hunt. BIG mistake and from now on no one discusses politics on hunting trips.

[​IMG]

Neck Collar likes this.
  2. NC Ducker

NC Ducker Senior Refuge Member

Nice pictures thanks for posting.

3. L.Berggren

L.Berggren Senior Refuge Member

Oly: Love your pictures and story. Thanks for sharing. It's getting close to that time of year again. Lynn

4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Did the traveling deke bring you any band mojo? We took him to Prince Albert area one year and he brought some good band mojo and some amazing snow shoots.

HS family is greatly missed.

Good to see you here.

5. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

Thanks!!! Always enjoyed your tips on the snows & your video on you tube I think is one of best ever :tu

6. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

One of the best posts I have seen on here in a long time

7. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

As a matter of fact Sam did bring us some luck. For those of you that don't know a guy by the name of Kansas Goose(I think that was his name) had a good luck goose decoy that would get shipped around the country to different hunters and was supposed to bring good luck. The year he came with us we did shoot 1 neck collared bird and the only one in the 13 years I have been going up there. Here is a picture. I have recreated my own Sam but has not brought the luck of the original.

[​IMG]

Neck Collar likes this.
  8. LuxuryHunter

LuxuryHunter Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Great post and pics rdj! I too was a regular on that site and would always be checking the reports during the spring season. I was SBE II on there. Met a lot of good guys(wapiti being one of them). Good times, hope we can establish something like that here.

9. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

That's right - the deke was named Sam or Sammy - and he brought a lot of folks a lot of luck - glad you got in on it!

It was Kansas Goose and his name is James, can't recall his last name. That deke had about a billion miles on it. you could never keep it for more than a week so he would see a lot of hunts.

10. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

I too checked the HS site several times a day when it was active! Time for SK soon! It appears things have changed since I last attached a picture :confused: Great pics Oly 1!