Pig Hunting.

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by widgeon, Jul 12, 2017.

1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Heading out in a day or two to work on deer stands and try to get a pig with my bow. The pigs where I hunt have been hunted and trapped til they are as hard to hunt as a whitetail. One whiff of human scent and they're gone. Mostly they only come out at night.

Anyone ever bowhunted at night? Any good night sights out there?

2. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Just came back from a night pig hunt. Took rifles and bow, planning to kill one first with rifle then switch to bow for night 2. Night 1 was a blank so night 2 was rifle night again and successful.

That being said, I borrowed a Hawg Sniper bow mount red led light and Gerry rigged atop scope. It worked great, pigs showed no fear or worry from red light.

Came back home and bought a couple cheaper lights off Amazon (ulaka that came with remote switches and mounts). Bought a red for the bow and green for gun, but mount will allow swapping. Walk around the home place shows they both work - deer rabbits fox, none seem to be bothered.

On another note, the guy we hunted with used peanut butter thinned and coated on grain as his secret recipe. Pigs could not resist. I also think it helps with scent - the stuff smelled loud enough for me to smell 50 yards downwind of the bait - thinking up close it may cloud their nose a bit.

3. widgeon

I shot at one with my rifle across a peanut field and missed it yesterday am. About 400 yds. Closest shot I've had so far.

Trying with my bow this evening.

4. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Have never hunted hogs but looks like it would be fun. Killing time in front of the TV this morning and saw an add for this place. Looks like they have lights for night hunting.

https://www.elusivewildlife.com/

widgeon likes this.
  5. widgeon

I think I'll try that next time. The deer keep eating our corn.