Pigeons!

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Beaver5, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Beaver5

Beaver5 Senior Refuge Member

Anybody hunt pigeons or crows? I love to eat pigeons and like to hunt them even more. I dont see as many in the spring and summer as I do in the fall and winter, do they miagrate? I have been seeing alot more in the last year than before. I have been shooting both pigeons and crows with remington nitro 27s in #7.5s and do pretty good but i think #6s would be better. But good luck finding a factory load thats as good as a factory trap load in #6s.

Last year there were days that we didnt see ducks or geese and reverted to crow and pigeon hunting instead of staring at a empty sky. More fun when you get to pull the trigger. It keeps you in better shooting shape too.

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

You talk'n Bandtails or barn pigeons???

Bandtails definetly migrate, while barn pigeons in our area do not seem to migrate. They will get pushed out of an area when they are shot at a lot though.

I shoot a fair number of barn pigeons, and have found that 1 1/4 oz of #6's are probably the best all-around load... They are one tough bird for their size, and a sporty flier as well.

3. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

"They are one tough bird for their size, and a sporty flier as well".

The best shooting form I was ever in was when I was shooting lots of pigeons used while training Springers.

4. cowpoke

cowpoke Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a fair amount of barn pigeons (silo rats) when the opportunity presents itself.

they do not seem to migrate around here, bu the numbers do rise and fall. I suspect at least around here that disease and other environmental factors may have some impact on them at times.

I would not eat the ones around here.

5. DuckznGeez

DuckznGeez Senior Refuge Member

oh heck yes i shoot them suns a vitches!! On 2nd day of opener the geese flew and i wanted to stay and hunt longer grabbed another boxes of shells and killed a bunch of pigeons!! Than the gw came out and tried to hide all the lead:cry

6. ixkaped2

ixkaped2 Senior Refuge Member

shot a couple while dove hunting,but now either they hatched a bunch or got some from neighbors.I must have 50 of them in the cattle barns. They be getting it one of these days.