Pike Illegally Reintroduced to Comins Lake $10,000 Reward Offered

Discussion in 'Nevada Flyway Forum' started by JDK, Aug 11, 2017.

1. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Pike Illegally Reintroduced to Comins, $10,000 Reward Offered
    Pike Illegally Reintroduced to Comins, $10,000 Reward Offered

With the discovery of illegally planted Northern pike in Comins Lake, the Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW) is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the prosecution of the person(s) responsible. Conviction for this crime would be a misdemeanor, but the crime also carries hefty civil penalties that can reach into the tens of thousands of dollars.

The reward money has been donated by several sportsmen’s groups, including Nevada Bighorns Unlimited and the Operation Game Thief Citizens Board.

“We’ve invested tremendous time, money and resources in eliminating pike from this fishery. The person illegally planting fish is costing sportsmen money that could be better spent, and they are destroying one of Nevada’s most productive and heavily utilized fisheries,” said Chief Game Warden Tyler Turnipseed. “This is an ugly and damaging act, and we intend to find who did it.”

In 2015, NDOW spent more than $250,000 to remove illegally stocked northern pike that had decimated the trout fishery at Comins Lake. Since then, NDOW worked to rebuild the fishery with the introduction of trout and largemouth bass, all designed to benefit the sportsmen of White Pine County and visitors from all over the country. “This malicious and illegal act seriously endangers our effort to restore this important fishery for local anglers and those who travel to White Pine County to enjoy amazing fishing,” said NDOW Fisheries Chief Jon Sjoberg.

At its peak in 2004 Comins Lake reached 35,000 angler use days, an estimate of how many people fish a body of water per year based off angler questionnaires, making it the fourth most visited fishery in the state behind only Lake Mead, Lake Mohave and the Truckee River. With the introduction of pike, that number fell to around 2,000 angler use days by 2013. The money spent by anglers using Comins also dropped from over $2 million to around $73,000 during that same time frame.

Northern Pike are not native to Nevada, and when introduced into certain waterways, this voracious predator consumes all the natural resources in a given waterway, destroying native fish first and eventually causing a collapse of the invasive pike as well. “There’s a reason why pike are considered an invasive species in Nevada,” said Sjoberg. “The people illegally introducing pike are destroying a fishery, not creating a new one.”

Anyone with information on this illegal introduction of pike can call the OGT hotline at (800) 992-3030. Follow Turnipseed on Twitter for the most up to date information @Chief_GW_NV for up to the minute information on boating, wildlife and water safety in Northern Nevada.

The Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW) protects, restores and manages fish and wildlife, and promotes fishing, hunting, and boating safety. NDOW’s wildlife and habitat conservation efforts are primarily funded by sportsmen’s license and conservation fees and a federal surcharge on hunting and fishing gear. Support wildlife and habitat conservation in Nevada by purchasing a hunting, fishing, or combination license. Find us on Facebook, Twitter or visit us at www.ndow.org.

Posted on 8/10/2017 03:03:15 PM

2. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Seems like possibly they missed a few when they killed it? They should of planted Bluegill and fed the Pike,a 5 pound Pike certainly out fights a 5 pound Rainbow,and there seems like there is no shortage of places to fish for trout in this part of the country.
    Well that being said people should just leave planting up to NDOW THEY seem to best know how to spend our money.

3. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Try to read the article.....try to comprehend the article...

4. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Probably the same idiot(s) that put them in Davis lake in CA. I don't understand these people. Want to screw up a lake or watershed, just add pike where they're not native. I hope they catch the fools and make them pay the cost or eradication (they'll be paying the rest of their lives).

5. mpkowal

Pretty sure I read the article,went to meetings and forums about this also.Talked to the Director or Fisheries for NDOW at length.You think trout are native to any of these man made lakes???They are planted for revenue plain and simple.Sure maybe Pike is not the best eating fish but trout isn't much better.
    I believe there should be more variety of species available for the angler,which I am glad to say is starting to happen,more bass being transplanted along with crappie and bluegill.
    Do I think it should be left up to NDOW,of course,but once fish are in a lake why waste them.

6. Phytoplankton

Why waste them? because they eat every other fish in the lake, then turn into cannibals. It's not a free for all, just because YOU like a species doesn't mean you have the right to plant it where you like, that's why we have professionals to manage species. Your attitude regarding invasive species is disturbing.

We had some bozo dump pike in Davis lake in CA, took at least two eradication attempts plus millions of dollars, and in the meantime a nearby town that relied on the lake nearly went bankrupt. Had those pike gotten into the Sacramento River drainage the entire salmon run would of been at risk.

7. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I couldn't help but snicker when I was what you wrote about Davis. The dam had screens that filtered down to one micron, so pike couldn't have got out of the lake on their own. Even if they had, fish and game used to plant pike in the 30s in the Delta...

8. Phytoplankton

The problem wasn't the screens, it was the spillway, no screens. "DWR lowered Lake Davis in the 1990s to prevent storms from spilling invasive northern pike into downstream waterways. Out of an abundance of caution to protect native fish species, DWR has kept the reservoir level well below the dam’s rim" (https://yubanet.com/california/lake-davis-fills-as-anticipated-spillway-outflows-begin/) I'd like to see a citation re: pike planting in the delta. Never heard of it and can't seem to find anything but this in a search. "Dill and Cordone (1997) reported that the United States Fish Commission supposedly brought northern pike to California in December 1891. However, there is confusion regarding the identification and the fish may not have been northern pike, but rather grass pickerel Esox americanus vermiculatus." (http://fisheriessociety.org/rotenone/rewards/05lee.pdf)

9. mpkowal

Excuse me Sir,I resent the fact you imply I planted them.I think you need to get your facts right.I have no desire or resourse to plant a fish in a lake 250 miles from my home.
    I just think they are (NDOW)not making the best of an unfortunate situation. They thrive in many lakes through planting of several different species and I have caught many of them in lakes back east that have healthy populations of Bass,Bluegill and Crappie. Guys went nuts when they put lStriper in Mead,hey Large and Mall mouth Bass are doing great in Mead despite what all the naysayers said.

10. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I'll see if can find it, first time I saw it was in one of my college text books. If you can find a copy of Freshwater fishes of California you can find the citation