Pintail Repaint help

Discussion in 'G&H Decoys' started by snipe a duck, Sep 13, 2016.

1. snipe a duck

snipe a duck Elite Refuge Member

I've got about a dozen of my older G&H drake pintails that need to be repainted. I'm curious how to attempt to redo the scalloped black and white paint on the sides and shoulder on the decoy. It seems the factory paint is black in the low groove of the side with a light coat of white paint on the high points of scalloped texture of the plastic. My thought was to paint the whole area flat black first. Once the black dries attempt to go over the area very lightly with a foam brush to try and just lightly coat the higher scallop with the white paint. I'm afraid it would be easy to use too much pressure with the foam brush or too much paint on it and end up with too much white paint between the grooves. Has anyone attempted to repaint these in this way and have a suggestion for matching the factory paint. Better method for putting the white paint over the black on the sides

Maybe I'm over thinking the whole thing and should just paint the sides of the body gray and call it good.

Thanks in advance for help

2. Ambush

Ambush Refuge Member Sponsor

No, you're not overthinking it any more than we do. We have patterns specially made here. But you're on the right track. As for matching colors, I'd take a new one to the paint shop and have them match it up professionally. Use outside latex.