Pintails?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Ben Perez, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Ben Perez

Ben Perez Elite Refuge Member

Do you FL guys kill any Pintails? Of so, where do they concentrate? I would like to shoot one down there someday:tu Post up some photos of dead Pintails:tu:tu

2. Duckwild

Duckwild Refuge Member

Ben I think they kill a few down south...Im up North as you know and we see alot and kill a couple here and there. We see alot of widgeon too but hardly ever kill them. Up here both stay out in the middle of the lake and from the people ive talked to I hear its similar down south too. But im sure you could kill a few down there. Come to Miss. with me and youll kill some for sure!!

3. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I am way down south...from the Big O to southern Glades. We get very few. Since 1989, when I started this lovely "madness", I have only bagged three. I hear tell there are good numbers in the Merritt Island Refuge area at times. I've only managed a half dozen widgeon, a couple ruddy, 1 gadwall, 3 redheads....we get mostly ringnecks (blackjacks), blue-wing teal, woodies, and mottled ducks, with a smattering of green wing teal, bluebill, fulvous, and black-bellied whistling ducks.

4. Ben Perez

Bout' time you invited me:l:l

Maybe someday man, would love to share a blind with you sometime soon!

5. Duckwild

Duckwild Refuge Member

if the good lord will bless us enough for me and you to qualify then we got to hunt in arkansas!!!

6. D Duck

D Duck Moderator

We don't kill any pintails down here. Nothing to see, move along....

7. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Honestly, even on Meritt they are not common. If you interested in hunting pintail and widgeon you need to go to mississippi or texas. HUGE flocks of 50 t 75 coming in a flock...they are every where !!!

8. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Very true, Waterfowl fool! Up north they have the luxury of passing up on what they consider "trash" ducks, like our "bread and butter" ringnecks, to shoot big ducks- widgeon, greenheads, gadwall, pintail, redheads, and the like. I can't complain, as much I'd like to harvest more of the above species, I am happy killing ringers and eating them. They provide both a challenge to shoot and good table fare. The only big bird I get now and then is the wily Osceola gallopavus- and he has not been too cooperative the last few springs.:D

9. Ben Perez

He will brotha! And we will definitely hunt in some good ol' public timber holes!

Lodge Creek Calls and Echo Calls style:flame:flame

10. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

If you really want to kill pintails you should make a trip to California.