Pintails?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Ben Perez, Jun 15, 2013.

1. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

I do not know what pintails you speak of???

[​IMG]

The only problem is you can only shoot 2.

[​IMG]

2. straightline

straightline Senior Refuge Member

All the Pintails you could want here in NC :cool:. You just need to head East my friend.

[​IMG]

3. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

Or you could do it up north in Minnkota, and just pluck a late migrant out of 500 Mallards...

[​IMG]

I think for most FL Hunters the Pintail, or Widgeon is the prize puddle duck. There are areas where there could be many of them, but they're smart, and overall there aren't enough for them to spill out of areas where they're totally safe all Winter. They're usually shot at random throughout the State as a whole. The areas that have some are tough to hunt, and you're just not often gonna have groups of them decoying. That's be your lucky day in FL. I don't think you could consistently go out, and get 2 a day here even if you're King Duck-Commander 007.:no

4. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

Maybe I should change my screen name then.

5. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

6. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

Your post was 100% correct though. The BS I have to do or put up with to consistently get them is rediculous and getting worse every season.

7. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

They killed the refuge with salt water back around 2000 and the birds left & didn't come back in any numbers. We used to have rafts of pins and widgeon the beginning of November and they were there all season. Before 2000 we used to have the flocks of pins (and widgeon) 20, 30, 50 birds circling, doing the pintail thing - beautiful.

This past season I hunted 6 times and had one drake pin working us, he circled 5 or 6 times, it was my uncle's turn and he couldn't find the bird 20 yards directly over us... I think we were about 30 yards off with the decoys - Still a great day.

8. cypresswoody

cypresswoody New Member

I can maybe help you with those Osceolas', Holler anytime.

9. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Thank you, cypresswoody! It's been a tough five last spring turkey seasons- gotten real close but not enough. Every time I see one of those hunting shows where they're on some manicured lawn on private land (they don't show the feeders but I'm sure they are there) I smile and sigh at the same time knowing the difficulties on public WMA's and yet I love the challenges. Hey, I wonder if you've had any strange sightings in your area? I was a local park with my wife and daughter and we found a wild pair of Egyptian geese feeding in wide expanse. They would definitely make a great mount! I thought I was back in South Africa where they were plentiful and I shot some there- my wife hails from there...wonder if I could legally bag one during duck season? I've got a diverse lot of mounts on my walls: pintail, mottled, bwt, kudu and a blesbok. Those last two did not cost me much over there in RSA but cost me plenty to get them through customs and all here.
    My last turkey hunting purchase was a Dave Smith decoy upright hen. She's a beauty, but last season only some hens were attracted.

10. BPS slayer

BPS slayer Elite Refuge Member

I grew up in Sumter County, FL, and like others have stated we shot mostly ringers with wood ducks and teal.
    After I moved to NC and started hunting the coast we got into the widgeon and pintails pretty often.
    My son's from the second youth day:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]