Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Pit blind build advice

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by bbfky, Oct 11, 2018.

1. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Season is fast approaching and looking for some advice on the inside of my pit I put in this spring. Its all wood tongue and grove on the outside inside has 4x4s across the bottom and top every 4 feet. Looking to build a shooting platform and a bench on the back wall. Just finished running electric for the ice eaters and general electricity along with a pump. Looking for advice on how to brace the shooting platform. It is going to be around 2 ft off the rock floor. Was thinking of using 2x12 cut 2Ft and screw them into the 4x4s for the deck boards to be screwed to them. I would put 2 pieces on each side of the 4x4 post running across the bottom, I think screws will work but I could lap screw them in might be overkill. So the 2x12x2 blocks would be every 4 ft and then run 16ft deck boards on top for the platform, pretty sure I will have to cut them down to 8ft to get them in the pit.

Same idea for the bench but probably use 2x12 boards as the bench material because I wont have anymore on the 2 inch tongue and grove boards left over after I build the shooting platform. Any advice ?

Pit is 5 ft deep, been running a utility pump to keep the water out would love to find something that has a float switch or an automatic utility pump but the reviews have been less than impressive. Any recommendations on an automatic pump? I am currently using a HF utility pump and it does great just have to unplug or flip breaker to cut off. Just put some good topsoil on the roof and planted winter wheat so it should blend in fairly well in the next month.
    After I get the bench and shooting platform comes the fun part designing the shooting openings

Thanks for any input
    Brian

2. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

Pictures please.

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum