Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Pit Blind made out of wood question

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by bbfky, Apr 17, 2018.

1. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

In the process of making a 16ft-6ft pit made out of 4x6s, 4x4s and 2x6x16 treated tongue and grove boards. What have you all used to either wrap or paint on the outside to help with moisture, I know the wood is treated and ground contact just looking for a little extra protection to try and make it last longer.
    was thinking of painting the outside with this stuff
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-4-75-Gallon-Fibered-Waterproofer-Cement-Roof-Sealant/3009895
    thanks for any advice

2. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

What you have in your link is trowel grade which will work but you would probably be better to go with a brush on foundation coating. Very similar but much easier to apply. I'm assuming you will be coating it once it is in the hole? If you were planning on covering it before you drop it in I would go with foundation wrap which would not be a big mess compared to the brush on.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  3. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

A little off topic but.... I've found it helps keep the floor from rotting out, to set the pit on concrete blocks in the hole. Also easier to pull it out if you decide to move it. You can dig around it and shove straps under with a shovel handle and pull it out with an excavator. Also if you cut a hole in the floor you can put a sump pump in if you have water problems. Snapchat-2675771606518570025.jpg Snapchat-2675771606518570025.jpg

Attached Files:

4. 2WIDGN

5. 2WIDGN

Pictures are out of order, hopefully they help.

6. bbfky

Thanks, I plan on putting in on paver stones, If I can get deep enough without hitting rock I will put it on blocks, I do appreciate the advice.
    I'll check out the coating and foundation wrap, really appreciate the feedback

7. Damian Wiening

Damian Wiening Elite Refuge Member

I was involved with the installation of four pit blinds with others helping, I am no expert but how much water do you get in the field you intend to place the pit, how are you going to anchor the pit to keep it from floating up if it rains more than expected.

The club used cement boxes and anchored them with large concrete blocks to keep them down and they also had a pump and battery to pump out the water that might get in them, a wood blind in an area that has any water level is going to leak no matter how much coating you put on, movement in the blind will stress the seams and at a point water will leak into it, freeze and thaw will effect it also over time.

Best of luck and good hunting but think about the water level in the field it is going in so you don't find an above ground blind the morning of a hunt after a few good rains.

8. bbfky

Damian,
    we put in a new pond last year with a horse shoe shaped dam, the place I am putting the pit is about level with the edge of the horse shoe dam on the pond but the ground slopes away downhill pretty quickly so the plan was to dig the hole, fill with gravel, set blind on pavers or blocks dig the trench out one side so the water goes down hill, install drainage pipe back fill with rock then dirt so the water should follow the drain pipe and rock and run down hill away from the pit. Probably stay a good 20 plus feet away from the pond. If I need to run a pump I can but based on the lay of the land and the slope I am hoping we will be good. I had not planned on anchoring it because it is right at the edge of where the field starts to slope and go downhill, probably a 20 plus foot difference in elevation between where the pit will be buried and the bottom of the field. The water always runs down hill to our other pond which is maybe 70 yards away (below us)

9. bbfky

2Widgn,
    what do you all use as lids ? Your blind looks great BTW

10. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

If you have a wood pit and ground water can enter the pit such as through the floor the pressure will equalize and the pit will not push out of the ground. A vessel type pit, such as a steel or fiberglass pit which is designed to keep ground water out will heave from hydraulic pressure if it is not anchored in some manner.

I think with the foundation coating/wrap you were only looking at increasing the longevity of the pit and not trying to necessarily seal out water? It is virtually impossible to totally seal a wood pit which you don't want anyway (you want rain or water you bring in to drain out). As long as the bottom of the pit is above the water level or you don't have constant seep water you should be fine. If you have drainage underneath that goes out you have it made. Make sure you cover the end of pipe so animals don't get in it and create a plug.

As far as lids go is this pit mainly for ducks, geese both? What type cover will the pit be in? Corn, millet, grass?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018