Pit Blind made out of wood question

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by bbfky, Apr 17, 2018.

1. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Cool pics.

Dug some test holes with the backhoe today after we got our water line installed. Bad news is the deepest we could go around the new pond was 3.5 ft before hitting solid rock :( one side is already graded up the edge the far side where I wanted the pit I would be about 2.5 ft high if I cut the total height inside down to 5 ft and I could grade the dirt level with the existing dam so it would just be an extension of the horse shoe dam, I don't think it would look perfect but might work. The last option is to take out our 12 ft steel pit that is only 3 ft deep and bury the 16ft one, we got down 4.5 ft there and if extended the dirt to match the pond bank it would blend in nicely. I really would like to put it on the new pond. it is 45 yards across and about 80 yards long. The old one which we have hunted for the past few seasons is 1.5 acres 90 yards across. The new pond is in the middle of the field so I think the birds might work it better even though it is smaller. I hate rock!!!. I have several 3-kK pound rocks sitting in our garden from the waterline

The only good news is the drainage will be a lot easier since it will be on solid rock LOL

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

If you're set on wood, maybe you could put a coat or two of fiberglass on the outside before you sink it in the ground. On the inside a coat of bedliner?

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

If you use wood, I think no matter what prep you use, water will seep in and soften the wood , just a matter of gravity and the fact that wood is plant cell material that has been treated to store water in it's cells for billions of years.