Pit Blinds Finally Getting In

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Cliner, May 13, 2016.

1. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

Finally getting around to getting pits in and well covered. It's been a wet spring in NWMO. Here's a few progress pics. Finishing the dirt around the top tomorrow so we can get some grass planted around it. Any suggestions for what grass would be good to plant around the mound? Hopefully we get working on the second pit this weekend as well. I'll get some more pics next if I can remember image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. bwelty

bwelty Elite Refuge Member

Is this field to be flooded or not? Maybe perennial ryegrass for a stay green effect, get some more pics and what will be in the surrounding area.

3. Cliner

It'll be flooded corn and it will be sprayed so it'll be pretty bare around the blind mound

4. bwelty

If it is to be sprayed and planted in corn every year might just go with annual ryegrass around the pit in late August when corn is standing. Will corn be standing around the pit when hunting? Guys in Western Kentucky would have standing corn but around the pit they would cut the corn and stake it by zip ties to the tobacco sticks (4 ft wooden stakes, like tomato stakes) so it made shooting lanes for the pit. This helped keep cover a the pit

5. Cliner

Yea I'm going to leave corn behind the pit and relatively close to the sides (10 yds or so). Annual rye sounds pretty good. We'll probably use some corn stalks to cover the pit as well.

6. bwelty

Trying to keep it from getting muddy around the pit cam be an issue. We used grass hay around our pit last year in SEMO for rice as it was more brown than tan than what wheat straw would of been. Had to refreshed about twice a season. Good Luck!

Cliner likes this.
  7. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Normally I am a proponent of planting grass and most times rye grass around pits. But I wouldn't in your case and here is why.

If you have a pit that is in a mound all by itself with water and flooded corn all around it and you plant grass that is going to be green in winter you are going to end up with a single green dot in a field of tan and water. You are going to stick out like a green booger on a white wedding cake.

Plant you some kind of native warm season grass (switchgrass or gama grass or something like that) that is going to turn brown in a similar way that the corn is.

Then do what bwelty said and bring you in some corn stalks and scatter your whole mound with them and tie some off to tobacco sticks or make big bundles and use them to cover up your shooting holes. That way you aren't the only green spot in your field.

Also, may want to hit the exposed edges of the pit with some really flat paint. Looking at your pics it has a touch of shine to it. Probably came painted in a flat enamel paint but I would get some parkers duck boat paint in dead grass or tan and hit it some more.

8. Cliner

Great advice smashdn, I appreciate it. I'm hoping that all the parts of the pits are covered by dirt, and the rest is covered by grass but I definitely think it wouldn't hurt to hit it with some paint.

9. bwelty

Mud would be his biggest problem, annual ryegrass is deep rooted and can help hold soil on the pit. He can always use glyphosate before season to turn it brown. The reason for the grass around the pit is for soil structure, then he can put hay, old corn stalks, whatever on top to blend in. We had a new pit put in right before the season and used hay on the mud as our pit sticks up in the middle of a rice field. Used cane, ornamental grass attached to tobacco sticks to look like an overgrown bunch of weeds and it did fine.

10. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

My best pit has no soil around it, the water laps against the sides of the pit. Minimizes the footprint visible from the sky. Vary the blind camo foliage to break up the straight lines and corners.

knees likes this.