Pit Blinds Finally Getting In

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Cliner, May 13, 2016.

1. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Is this standing, Unharvested corn? Is your plan to have the blind in the open hole? Or do you want the pit to look like part of the corn field?

One thing also that I like to use on pit blinds that have vertical cover around them is the Avery decoy stands with the round bases. I tie vertical cover to them. Can move them around where you need them and that way you're not laying cover flat. Also breaks up the holes you're not using on a bigger blind

2. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

The pit will be facing an open hole approximately 30 yds long in front of the pit until it reaches the unharvested, standing corn. The rear of the pit will have corn planted and left unharvested as close to the back of it as possible to be able to better camo it. The sides will have about 10 yds of water on either side before getting back to unharvested standing corn.

I like the idea of vertical cover, I was trying to think of a way to place corn stalks in front of the blind do reduce the visual of it. I do like the idea of the old avery decoy stands. I have a bunch of old stakes and round bases.

3. bwelty

bwelty Elite Refuge Member

Cliner, l still would use a stake and zip tie corn stalks to it in front of the blind and make shooting lanes for it. Make sure you remove and dispose of the ears on the corn so that no baiting issues would arise. If not plant some sorghum (milo) in front of the pit for vertical cover.

4. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

I would hand plant corn up to the pit as close as possible then cut it off accordingly. Rake up stalks and husks after harvest from an another area in the field to spread on top of the pit. Rake plenty so you can add as the season goes. You could also dig a few stalks and set them on top of the back of the pit where corn rows would be.

5. Waterdog Trainer

Meant to say rake stalks from another field.

6. Cliner

Good call waterdog trainer, I was trying to think of a way to get corn close to the blind in front. I'm sure there will be plenty of stalks I can find to cover it up.

7. Waterdog Trainer

Good choice on the Concealed Comfort pit. We have a flat top 20ft. in a dry field.

8. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

Cliner, I would strongly suggest you monitor Craigslist for some small cornstalk bales this Fall. You can normally buy them from $2-$5 bale and they work tremendously well for the blind mound if you have corn planted around it and it is bare. We have done this for several years now. Take a fresh bale or two out every other hunt or so and freshen up the blind mound. Works very well. If you find them buy more than you think you will need as they seem to disappear more quickly than you might think. The only downfall to any cover that is not connected/planted in the ground as it has a tendency to end up in the blind but that is a small setback IMO if you are able to stay covered up and whack greenheads :)

9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Put your corn stalks out on the ground and lay some cattle panels on it. Then you can put more on top as well or tie it off to the cattle panel. Helps to keep your stalks or grass from blowing away and adds a little support on top of soft mud so it doesn't become a muddy mess as fast.

10. Cliner

Got the dirt around the pit. This is a pic from early on, forgot to get one at the end when we got it all filled in. The only thing showing are the cover panels.

Attached Files: