Pit Blinds Finally Getting In

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Cliner, May 13, 2016.

1. Greentops

Greentops Senior Refuge Member

That ol boy in that loader looks like he knows how to get a job done and move dirt

2. Guthook

Guthook Senior Refuge Member

Plant some milo. It's cheap prolly won't head out but makes a nice cover.

3. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

Will that work being broadcasted? I don't want to screw up all my corn around there bringing in a planter. I need something I can broadcast that will turn golden brown to match the corn. I'll have plenty of corn stalks from other areas of the field, just need some golden brown grass or something else that will grow tall enough. I like the idea of vertical cover with corn stalks and all that. We did plant 6 rows of corn around the pit blind, but the way the gumbo looked, I doubt it grows very well at all.

4. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

Broadcast on mudflat. ATV spreader works great for this. As you drive over the muddy areas it helps get it "rooted" in the mud and off you go from there. I would put on any open spot and if you can scratch the surface and cover it up a bit will keep the seed from floating off should you get a big rain. Does not take much to get it to go. The DNR flies it on many of the areas in Iowa when they cannot get equipment into the mudflat areas. Good luck.

5. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Egyptian wheat. Looks like corn. Grows much taller though. You can cut it to the corn stubble height and use it for brushing.

6. Cliner

That's funny you mention that, as I was just looking at that thinking it might be a good option.

7. smashdn

Guy at one of the refuges here told me they plant it because it looks just like corn to a duck and serves as a wind break that the birds get down into.

8. Cliner

Does that seem to do ok being broadcasted? I don't need it grow perfect, just need some cover.

9. Greentops

Greentops Senior Refuge Member

Id broadcast it and mix in cockleburrs

10. smashdn

I've never planted it myself. I think Rex on the TN forum has planted it. I suspect on the WMA they used a drill for it.