Pit Recomendations

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Drake Decimator, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Drake Decimator

Drake Decimator Senior Refuge Member

Will be constructing a marsh area soon and will be putting in a pit. Looking at the manufactures out there, it seems like Osceola about 1/2 the price of the others. I dont need something fancy, just a basic pit to get the job done. Main difference I can see is gauge of steel other than bells an whistles. Pit will be in S.E. Kansas. So any one with experience with Osceola or could recommend another local manufacturer would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

Find someone local that welds/sales steel and build one. Cheaper and you get what you want, We built a 16' hunting length with steps on both ends, 4' deep 4' tall out of 10ga steel, and had it built and set for $6000 from a local build, pretty much that exact blind from the "blind builders" was $8000 plus shipping and setting

3. Old Critter

Old Critter New Member

We use concrete rectangular septic tanks. Then weld a frame that mounts on the tank's upper edge that holds the top and front flipper. We use a small kitchen step ladder to climb down in. We bury the tank down to within two or three inches of the lip. We have a drain pipe that runs between the bottom of the tank and out through the berm.

Each tank will comfortably hold two. We have one set-up with two tanks side by side so we can shoot four. Each tank, welding and placement costs around $1,500, as I remember.

4. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Put in an Osceola pit a few years ago. We are very happy with it. Well made and very functional. Cant imagine you could do it as well for less. Purchase, Deliver, Drop, Dress and Hunt.

Giddyup

5. QakQak73

QakQak73 Refuge Member

I second that on Osceola Pit. We put one in a few years ago, and u can't beat the comforts of the space and the benefit of the bench seat that can be moved to accommodate shooting either front or behind.

6. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

do they have plenty of room for 6 ft plus guys ????

7. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

They are essentially open on top. There are gassing framework panels on top that open and close for shooting purposes. The seat slides so can adjust position in the blind.

Good luck

8. QakQak73

QakQak73 Refuge Member

I am 6-2 and yes works well.
    They are flip panels so open on top as the above poster mentioned. So there are numerous ways to cover pit if so choose, with or without panels.
    We put boards across ours to keep water from coming in and covered the holes...
    Like I say, everyone has their ideas on how to cover etc.
    But dog box, inside comforts etc u can’t go wrong.

9. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

Bradley Blind...have been well pleased. IMG_1665.JPG IMG_2096.JPG

10. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

Any pit that stays in the ground is a good one.

i_willie12 likes this.