Pit Recomendations

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Drake Decimator, Jan 2, 2018.

1. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

The folks at the club I visit sometimes made their own out of concrete, just rectangular open top pits and then built out wood tops, replace the wood every 5-8 years or so. Theirs seem to stay put nicely.

2. sgt duck

sgt duck Senior Refuge Member

If your pit is in a flood zone it must be anchored down really well. They will pop out of the ground. We used 4 concrete blocks at 4,000 lbs a piece to hold our pit in place. We learned the hard way that screw anchor,s will not hold them in place. Tim (sgt duck)

3. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

Our area floods a lot. And something in the soil accelerates corrosion of steel. So most of our blinds are concrete. Three pits still being used were poured in 1955. Two newer pits poured in 1997 have 10" thick floors and 8" walls, designed such that the weight of the concrete is higher than the weight of the water displaced. They won't pop up and no anchors needed. They were poured on high ground, then when bottoms dried out enough they were pushed over 1/4 mile into position by a dozer.

4. Truman

Truman Refuge Member

yes....don't forget about the buoyant weight of concrete

5. Guthook

Guthook Senior Refuge Member

Don’t forget to place an anode on your steel pit either!

6. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

Spend the extra money and get a concealed comfort.

7. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

What's that mean?

8. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

Concrete weighs 150 lbs per cubic foot. That block is displacing 62.4 pounds of water, thus the "net weight"/sink force" (?) underwater of that block of concrete is 150-62.4 =87.6.

My statement above "designed such that the weight of the concrete is higher than the weight of the water displaced" includes that volume/buoyant force of concrete. If you want help PM me, I have a simple spreadsheet calculator to determine if a box will pop up or not.

Truman likes this.
  9. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I was questioning the term buoyant weight of concrete". I do understand that buoyancy = weight of water displaced minus the weight of the structure. I was trying to figure out if Truman was saying there was something different about concrete. I got into all this some years back designing a boat dock. Bottom line....it takes a lot of weight or substantial anchors to keep a pit in the ground!

10. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

Dead Men off each corner at an angle.

P