Planning stage yet?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by cobbhead, Jul 3, 2012.

1. cobbhead

cobbhead Refuge Member

Anyone else finalizing plans for this fall yet? I'm burning up the email with a huntin' buddy that is flying out from N.Y. to hunt ptarmigan this fall. Likely be in the "man cave" in the next couple weeks to check on what I need to buy and start packing! Our upland season in Colorado starts Sept. 1 for Blue Grouse. Once the calendar turns to September there are just too many birds to hunt and too little time!

2. Brdhntr47

Brdhntr47 Elite Refuge Member

Who would fly all the way from NY to wander around at 14,000 feet looking for a bird that weighs 12 ounces?

Dennis

3. SMF

SMF Senior Refuge Member

I'm dumb enough to drive 26 hours from IL to MT to shoot huns and sharptails.... or fly to AZ to shoot 5 oz quail.... count me in. I think part of it is that the post hunt beers hit you a little harder at high altitude.

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

ME.. I would! If there were enough of them to make it interesting...

I would think that Canada or Alaska might be a better choice for Ptarmigan though... But, I don't have too much knowledge on these species.

I'd love to get into some good hun shootin' or chuckar hunting (as I need the revenge on the chuckar). Wish'd I gotten in on one good traditional Bob White hunt on wild birds over good dogs, but it looks like that time has passed.

5. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

:tu:tu .....

6. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

Me too! I've flown from TX to AK to hunt ptarmigan! I've also driven all day from Mpls to N of Saskatoon to hunt sharptail grouse....

7. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

:clap :tu

No - you're not dumb enough - you're passionate!

8. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

I get up at 2:00 AM, drive four hours, grunt up and down hills all day, get my skin ripped off by every thorn bush and tree in the state, just to have a grouse finally flush in range when I'm not ready,,,and I love it!
    Figure with the time and expense put in Mr. Ruff is worth about $100 an ounce!

9. Better get to KS quick as the Bobs are rapidly diminishing. I haven't shot one in 3 years and all I used to do was quail hunt. My GSP died Dec 2010, and I won't get another pointing breed. Its too depressing to think about what it used to be like. Walked 3 miles last fall and never saw a covey. All my Dad did was quail hunt and he quit all together.

10. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

My buddy shoots a lot of them every trip out. He shoots more quail than pheasant! They put up 8-12 coveys a day. Must be location and type of
    cover be my guess. The Drahts help too! ;) :dv

My buddy in SW Missouri does well on Bobs too!

Doug