Planning stage yet?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by cobbhead, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Brdhntr47

Brdhntr47 Elite Refuge Member

Actually I'm the guy cobbhead is refering to. I'll be there mid September. And in addition to the White-tailed Ptarmigan we'll also be looking for some Blue Grouse and Band-tailed Pigeons. The Band-tails WILL qualify me as "dumb".

Dennis

2. Brdhntr47

Brdhntr47 Elite Refuge Member

Where did you hunt Ptarmigan in Alaska? I've hunted them off the Denali Highway between Cantwell and Paxton. Saw way more Caribou than I did Ptarmigan. I've also hunted them by float plane on the west side of Cook Inlet. Lots and lots of birds, both Willows and Rocks. Only problem with that is flying time in a Beaver can get expensive fast. (But, it's worth it!)
    I'm headed to Colorado to add the White-tailed Ptarmigan to the list.

Dennis

3. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

North of Bristol bay. Flew to Anchorage and then flew over to Dilingham. We stayed at a lodge north of Dilingham in the Wood Tickhik State Park. Beautiful!!!!!

4. Escopeton

Escopeton Senior Refuge Member

I am looking forward to chasing Duskies in Sept. I have a GSP and an English Pointer that will have their initial hunts then. My lab has hunted them before and done very well. Our populations of ptarmingan aren't enough to hunt them, but one day I will venture in CO and try the San Juan Mtns for them.