googletag.cmd.push(function() {googletag.defineSlot('/22715214/refuge_ros_atf_728x90', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1434482053797-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); googletag.enableServices(); });

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Plans for next year

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Irish eyes, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

Got out a lot this year, should have gone out more in the early season. Learned something’s and met some great new people. Here are some bucket list items for next season.....

Take out more new folks, make a better effort to take out more Marines.

Do more puddle duck hunting in the early season. Open water gunning is still my passion but early season the divers are just not down.

Make a workable net rig. I’ve been trying to make a pod of birds with decks on individual lines. There are always a few tangled in the middle of the group.I think I can make a light weight foam net rig I can easily deploy.

Get a real layout boat. I towed my sneakbox out and the birds seem to be much less wary of it. A true layout would be even less visible and if I can carry it on the mother boat I can move faster and safer.

Go for scoter more often. Only rigged out twice for scoter and had no luck both times. This is my heritage and my passion. Did actually see my first NC Oldsquaw this year.

Trailer the boat up to New York and take my grandsons sea duck hunting.

coachcornbread likes this.
  2. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

We are expanding our duck pond. I got the new boat up and running and next year plan on having a scissor rig on that bad boy. Other than that just work on the house (new washer/drier, fix sink etc) and the usual work around property. This year was stellar but gotta keep on moving to keep improviing

3. nickp9797

nickp9797 Senior Refuge Member

We have to fix a dam that broke. Rebuild a blind that the ice cut down and fix the scissor rig. Rough year on the equipment, but we killed some birds and stayed safe.
    image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

4. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Yep, next year.. that's what ya want to do...rebuild the blind again, get some good straight poles...gum,pine,4x4 it doesn't matter...brush it up good and thick, so thick you can't see Sun light through it...don't forget a nice shelf...cause thats what separates a newbie blind from an old timer blind is the shelf..and then get back and take a nice picture.....then take a stick of dynamite and blow the whole works up into a million pieces and then go home, be the same as the last few years with blinds in Back Bay. Ain't gonna happen next year...**** on that!

nickp9797 likes this.