Plans for the coming year?

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Have any projects you're hoping to accomplish over the course of 2018? I have two.

#1 will be to finish turning my enclosed cargo trailer into a dual purpose rig so I can either haul cargo, or use it as a mobile living quarters. I'll have to install 2 overhead vents, a window on each side, and an RV style electrical hook up and all the trimmings. Once that is done I can figure out the removable bunk bed and front kitchen shelving.

#2 is a bigger project and involves turning one of my garages into my new wood carving/painting workshop. For that I'll need to do things such as have a new electrical service dropped into it and run all the wiring, replace the garage door with a wall and one four foot wide door, install a couple more windows, install new siding, fully insulate everything and install a heating system. I will most likely install a raised and insulated floor over the concrete slab as well. I'll hang plywood on the interior walls, but I'm not sure yet what I'll put over that. I'm kind of leaning toward knotty pine or cedar to get a cabin type of look. Need internet in there to listen to music or ball games, so I'll run an ethernet cable underground from the router in the house to the shop. Like I did in my other shop I'll use my live sound equipment to get the music from the computer to my ears. Lots and lots of possibilities with this project.

#3 is some kind of pole barn type structure to put my pickup and enclosed trailer and boat in the protect them from hail storms.

How about you guys?

2. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

I would start with #3 first if I were you!!!

3. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Most of my bigger projects have been done for some time now but have a couple of smaller one too do this spring.

#1. Replace some kennel fencing between the kennel runs.

#2. Have a POW-WOW! Going to gather up some Native Americans from town and have a yard party all day and do rain dances until the sun goes down to pray to the rain Gods for rain this spring!!!:pra

Mean Gene likes this.
  4. labrador

labrador Senior Refuge Member

Mean Gene - would you post pictures of your decoys? How many do you usually run on a typical solo hunt and are they much heavier than traditional plastics? Thanks!

5. Mean Gene

I'll find a picture or two and stick them up for you. I have sold most everything I produced, so that leaves me with using my old plastic standbys. I'm ready to start painting 5 cork mallards after Christmas and I'll post progress pics on those. They will be a kind of hybrid: tan cork bodies, wood tails and bottom boards, Tony Homer heads, everything but the heads coated in thickened marine epoxy. They will be about the toughest decoy a guy could get anywhere. I'll weigh them for you, but I don't believe the will be any heavier than a large foam filled decoy.

6. Mean Gene

Here's 4 all wood decoys I did last summer. More for sitting on a shelf right now, but they could have a keel attached and be thrown into the water with no issue.

Finished 001.jpg Finished 002.jpg Finished 005.jpg Finished 006.jpg Finished 007.jpg

BirdJ likes this.
  7. labrador

labrador Senior Refuge Member

Those look great! Very cool hobby