Plant I.D help

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by S.King28, Sep 19, 2017.

1. S.King28

S.King28 New Member

Hello everyone, new member here. I am in college and I manage a few farms my grandad owns near the Miss. river in Tennessee. I have been engaged in moist soil management for many years without really knowing it. It's not too hard to open some boards/cut beaver dams, and let nature take its course. I have just now began to read on it and realize different drawdowns and different times of the year depict what grows. Well this year I did a late drawdown and I have about 10 acres of this stuff growing.. it's only about 30-40 days in so it might be too young to tell.. can anyone help me I.D. This plant?

Attached Files:

2. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

nutsedge, not as good as barnyard grass but decent food.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  3. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Clearly a sedge but which one I am not sure. Not always easy when looking on a cell phone. I will try to look later on a computer. Either way a great duck food.

4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

There are a bunch of sedges, some good and some not so good. Hope it turns out to be Yellow.

5. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

Redroot flatsedge is common after late (July/August) drawdowns and some of your pictures look like they could be redroot flatsedge, but I am far from a sedge expert. Redroot flatsedge is a good waterfowl food.

6. golden boy

7. Marlboroman

Marlboroman New Member

Pull it up and hope you find tubers....free chufa and consider yourself a lucky guy!

8. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

The first pic sure looks like millet to me…….or at least the majority of it does (barnyard grass some refer to it as I believe). That looks identical to our wild millet in its earlier stages. I would guess it will head out within the next 10 days and then you will know. The other stuff with the spindly tentacles I have no idea.

9. golden boy

it is yellow nut sedge, we do not need to confuse the guy anymore with your guesses. Next question.

10. S.King28

S.King28 New Member

Thanks for your replies. I've done some research and I'd definitely say it's yellow nutsedge in a young stage. The head hasn't bloomed out like most pictures on the web. All the pictures I posted are of the same plant. Even the green grass in the background is all the same as what I'm holding in my hand. I know what barnyard grass/millet is. It's not the same as this