Plant I.D help

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by S.King28, Sep 19, 2017.

  1. S.King28

    S.King28 New Member

    Messages:
    24
    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2017
    So since golden boy and others have helped me establish that I have a mega plot of yellow nutsedge. What's the odds that it will produce tubers? Most of the plants don't have the spiky heads on them yet but they look like the same plant.
     
  2. golden boy

    golden boy Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    1,783
    Joined:
    May 22, 2001
    Location:
    KS
    100 %

    Called nutlets, it is a perennial so it is coming back. I would not put a lot of water on it, better if the ducks just walk around in it. Great shallow water duck killing food.
     
  3. S.King28

    S.King28 New Member

    Messages:
    24
    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2017
    Yea well I normally only flood this field about 6-8inches. Most of the nutsedge is in a shallower spot too it will probably only be 3-4 inches. I always flood this farm shallow no matter what grows. Seems like they like it better tenfold
     
  4. jrchip1

    jrchip1 Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    1,034
    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2003
    Location:
    Currently living in Pecan Island Camp
  5. Clayton

    Clayton Moderator Moderator

    Messages:
    6,529
    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2000
    Location:
    west, Tennessee
    Typically if yellow-nut sedge has a seed head it does not produce nutlets. Just because you have it this year it does not guarantee it will be present next year, especially if your drawdown is at a different time. Yellow-nut sedge is very shade intolerant thus other plants can smother it out easily. I will take a good stand of YNS, with nutlets, over any waterfowl food if mallards, black ducks, and geese are your primary targets.
     
  6. S.King28

    S.King28 New Member

    Messages:
    24
    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2017
    Yea mallards are primary birds. Maybe 80% of what we get. We don't get many black ducks (maybe 2 or 3 a year) grey ducks, green wing teal, pintail, wigeons covering the other 20%. I went out to the hole today and dug up a few plants and contrary to your post every plant I dug up had nutlets. Even the one's with the heads.. now most of the plants are a little above knee high and do not have heads. But the one's I dug are making about 7 or 8 nutlets a piece so far.. which I'm assuming is decent..
     
  7. S.King28

    S.King28 New Member

    Messages:
    24
    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2017
    I have a few more plants at my farm I'd like to ID if you could.. I believe they are water pepper smartweeds and the later is barnyard grass.. but the plant that I believe is barnyard is like 6-7 ft. Tall so idk if I'm
    Correct or not.. here's photos..
     
  8. S.King28

    S.King28 New Member

    Messages:
    24
    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2017
    Barnyard grass? Whatever it is I have about 2 acres of it.
     

    Attached Files:

  9. S.King28

    S.King28 New Member

    Messages:
    24
    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2017
    The bottom three photos are smartweeds I think "water pepper" from the research I've done. Small seeds but a lot of them. I'm assuming the ducks really like smartweeds from what I've read. The very bottom pic is millet in between two patches of smartweeds
     
  10. Clayton

    Clayton Moderator Moderator

    Messages:
    6,529
    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2000
    Location:
    west, Tennessee
    I intentionally left my comment open ended by saying typically they don't produce nutlets. I usually know better than to say things are 100% true when it comes to Mother Nature! Heck I have Asters and cocklebur that actually sprout in the water and that flies against conventional wisdom. You found something I have never found in 30 years of moist soil management. I even had a waterfowl biologist many many years ago tell me the same thing and he had over 40 years experience. You should have a hell of a spot with that mant nutlets. Don't flood to early or it may get eaten up!
     

Share This Page