Plant I.D help

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by S.King28, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Yes, barnyardgrass and water pepper. You have a very nice variety of foods there and should be rewarded for it this winter.

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

What Clayton said, should be awesome!

3. S.King28

S.King28 New Member

Yes sir I've been doing drawdowns on this property for 7-8 years now. I'm very lucky my granddad has some farms in ideal locations. We are a few miles from the miss. River right on the forked deer river.

4. Clayton

A hell of a good location!!!

5. S.King28

S.King28 New Member

One more question. I got this growing on the back side of our woods hole. We have 20 acres that is connected to the field that is all willows/ buckbrush. And this stuff is growing everywhere.. it's not really in a spot I hunt but the ducks will still get to it.. I think it's a sedge but it's not the same as the yellow

Attached Files:

6. Clayton

Red-root flatsedge. An excellent seed producer. It will feed a ton of ducks as well. In general I tend to see more pintail, teal, gadwall and wigeon on it than mallards but that can depend on what is locally available.

7. S.King28

S.King28 New Member

But do you think the yellow nutsedge is more of a mallard food? Also smartweeds more of a mallard food?

8. S.King28

S.King28 New Member

I will post a video if that's possible in the next few days of me pulling up a yellow sedge plant with a head and the tubers still connected.. I only pulled two like this so maybe it was a lucky pick..

9. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

Dude you have The Who's Who of moist soil plants in your spots for sure hahaha. Just let us know when the ducks show and when the open dates are hahaha

10. Clayton

Mallards tend to lean towards larger seeds such as the YNS nutlets, millets and smarteeeds. If not locally available then they will feed on the smaller seeds.