Planting Wild Rice in Marsh

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Dubya, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Dubya

Dubya New Member

I am interested in planting some wild rice this year in my marsh that holds water all year. The water level is usually between 1 - 2 feet deep. Anyone out there with experience/knowledge in getting wild rice to grow? Any advice is appreciated. Location is central Kansas.

2. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

Get rice seed. Ball up seed in balls of clay. Throw in impoundment. Keep ducks and geese away until October. Keep clean water flowing into site through summer months. "It's that easy!" Not really..unfortunately. But what I mentioned above is a tried and true method. Search "rice" on this forum for other ideas.

Tricky plant.

3. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

I have 15lbs left over from past failed attempts. What the heck, I'm up for trying the balled clay strategy. How many rice seeds per ball of clay?

4. DRC

DRC Elite Refuge Member

Where are you storing it? I think there are strict requirements for keeping the seed viable. I recall Mr. Lee saying they keep the seed in the water through winter untill they plant in the spring ??????

5. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

I'll play...I too have failed several times with wild rice. I hate it.

6. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

I've had better luck, though somewhat mixed. In June, several years ago, I just hand cast it into the very shallow areas of two ponds. The water levels dropped to due receiving no rain for the next 30 days turning those areas into mud flats. When I returned just before Sept. 1 to see what came up, I could see that the geese had hit the areas hard near where I spread the seed, so I couldn't tell what, if any, rice plants had actually started to come up. However, the duck hunting in the other areas not near a shore was great that season, so it may have helped.

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I just pick it fresh, paddle into some beaver dams, and toss it all over the place, in 1-4 feet of water. Within 3 or 4 years, you have a hard time paddling in it.:tu

Best duck food ever, and you can pick it for your own consumption. A real no-brainer up here.

8. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Elite Refuge Member

If the seed dries out it will not germinate.

I doubt wild rice will establish as far south as Kansas.

9. Super Swamper

There's a southern species (aquatica) that should do just fine in KS.

Buried somewhere in here is the "clay ball" method devised in MD about 10 years ago.

10. Super Swamper

The rice project I showed you in Denton a few years back has been struggling because the ducks will not stay off it. Not in spring. Not in summer. They disregard any goose control measures.

Landowner is now sowing seed 3x per season to get adequate germination.