Plastic decoy line

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Sunklands, Oct 27, 2017.

1. WestKyHunt

WestKyHunt Refuge Member

Had the same thing happen to me. This year I'm using braided steel cable with a black vinyl covering

2. Patodor

Patodor Refuge Member

Those of you using heavy mono or plastic, do you ever keel wrap it?

I'd considered rigging with it, but too much memory for my liking. Especially late season. Of the few times I've actually seen it used, it wanted to kink up near or out of the water.

3. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I use the SNL kit with the 400# mono. I normally just throw the decoys in a regular decoy bag. Empty the bag, make sure the weight is all the way down, and then toss them out. Off season, I hang them to keep the lines nice and straight.

4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I did ONCE. When you unwrap, the decoy line looks like a stretched out slinky. The green Tanglefree line or tarred nylon line are reserved for keel wrapping.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I was a long time user of Tanglefree lines, both the green and clear. When I moved up here, they started breaking in these cold temps. I went to a braided line. I wrap around keels, with a snubber. Have not lost an anchor or broken a line in 2 years now.

6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Doesn't get THAT cold here and have not had any issues with green Tanglefree. I did try to save a few bucks and tried other brands of PVC and did have breaking issues. For braided line, I like the Rig Em Right brand, soft and doesn't cut my gloves. I have tried braided, tarred line and that will cut just like a wire saw. If using tarred, twisted is what I use.

7. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I live in far northern Minnie----It hasn't been above freezing now for over a week or 10 days. I've used genuine Tanglefree cord for almost 40 years, & really like it. A few friends trying other imitation plastic cords & found out they are junk by comparison. It pays to use genuine & with the use of their torpedo anchors, it really does make for a true t
    anglefree system.

SANJUANGLENN likes this.
  8. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Tangle free line breaks after a couple of years

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Not trying to start an argument here, honest question.

How long does a given decoy line last?

In my experience, 2-4 years. I would examine my lines at the start of the season, and find several that were about to give way. They would have that 'cloudy' look at the bends. Those got replaced, or, simply gave way if I did not notice them. It got worse in the cold weather. Plastic and cold are not a good combo.

I went to a braided line. I didn't even have to check them this year. They are all perfect. Thin braid (which I tried) IS a pain to deal with. Thicker braid, parachute cord type thickness, does not tangle much. I use a T-R system, for when I pick up. I grab the loop ends and walk through the set, grabbing each decoy, then drag them to shore. I dump them in a pile, then grab a decoy, pull on the anchor end, which pulls the line from the group. No tangles, no problem. Then I wrap them up, using J-weights and snubbers. Then, individual bags and into my bulk bag.

I'm not telling you not to use TF line. If it works, great. I am saying I used it for years in NV, and while I had a few problems, I still liked it. Not so much in repeated exposure to more extreme temps here in MT. I have already hunted in 20 degree temps, and before the season is over, I may be in -20 degree temps. After a few years having to re-rig to start the season, and having decoys break off and head down the river, I had to make a switch. I still have a huge coil of the clear line in my decoy anchor junk box.

I wonder if I can use it in my gas powered weed-eater?

10. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Most in my area use #48 or #60 tarred and twisted line. Life span is easily 10-15 years. I'd go mad having to restring every 2 years.

Fowler267 likes this.