Plastic decoy line

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Sunklands, Oct 27, 2017.

1. 1 shot kill

1 shot kill Moderator Moderator

Can somebody provide a link to a good source for crimps?

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

www.snlcorp.com they call them sleeves in their decoy rigging section.

3. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Ducker, I have no idea why I'm having very good luck, if you have not. As stated, I have been using it for 40 years, & have not re-rigged decoys because of the cord. One thing I have noticed is using crimp sleeves-----need to be careful not to 'over crimp' or it weakens the joint. I've had a few break there. To me, that's it's weak point----shear lack of tensile strength. I rigged out 8 dozen this morning & it was +15---20. I'm all in favor of using what works for a guy. Everybody needs to find their groove.

Ringbill

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

OH, I agree. I tried the crimps made for the line, couple of brands, and I even tried copper tubing. Yea, I never had a failure IN the line, just at the joints. I tied some God awful knots in my time, trying to avoid using crimps.

As to the part in the red, that is what I mean. I probably stress my line more than most, with the temps AND the way I wrap my lines so tight. My dekes are out 30-50 times a year, so that is a lot of bending that joint.

I LIKE the stuff, if it didn't break. (for me)

5. jhallmark5841

jhallmark5841 Refuge Member

A lot of people have suggested SNL corp and I've used their stuff too. It's okay and decent priced but by far the most durable is gatorline (oregon 22-395 or oregon 22-305) I have literally ran over decoys with my gatortail and the line was barely scuffed. Go to tractor supply and get the good fence crimps and use quality heavy duty snap swivels and you will not have to worry about decoy rigging anymore.

Ringbill likes this.
  6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Weedeater line is nothing more than fancy mono anyway. I've used cheap stuff before when I was in a bind and needed some line asap and it worked pretty well.
    For Texas rig I like the 400-500lb mono I got from SNL, and for deeper lines I like the braided and tarred line at least 1/8" thick. The thin stuff sucks.

7. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

Go to the hardware store buy some clear .100 seedeater line and copper crimps. AND BE DONE WITH IT

8. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

We found our crimps on eBay, they were very reasonable

9. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

I am pleased with 400# mono after 8(?) years of use. Never tried weedeater line, I would be concerned it would be made from a plastic that is not ultraviolet or ozone resistant and would become brittle/break after a few years.

10. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

I have been using the Tanglefree clear for at least 5 years with no issues. I don’t use crimps. Tie it the same as I would any other line.

Ringbill likes this.