Plucking Geese

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by HereDuckyDucky, Dec 3, 2005.

1. HereDuckyDucky

HereDuckyDucky Elite Refuge Member

When you guys pluck your geese, do you break the wings off or pluck the wings as well. I tried plucking the whole thing (only cutting off the feet and the neck), but the wings are a serious pain down near the ends.

RW

2. DPSOUTHHTR

DPSOUTHHTR Senior Refuge Member

We clean them to the first joint or break whichever is closer to the body. By cutting in the joint you do not have to mess with the wing tips and you do not have sharp bones to poke through bags.

3. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Senior Refuge Member

I have to be really enthusiastic to pluck Geese. I mainly breast them with the skin on but when I pluck them I cut off the third section with game shears.

4. Labtales

Labtales Elite Refuge Member

I pick them out to the first joint unless the wing got broken. Yeah, picking geese is most definitely a chore, but I sorta feel a responsibilty to the bird and the resource. I have also ordered a picker that will fit into a drill, so we'll see how that works.

5. quackmaster4

quackmaster4 Elite Refuge Member

I plucked one once. Never again! I just breast them out and save the legs for stew meat. There really isn't much meat other than that on them.

6. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

I pluck them to the elbow and then with a sharp knife peel the meat back to the shoulder joint and remove the wing at the joint. You get the meat from the humerus area but the bone is removed and the bird packs, freezes, and roasts better without the wings anyway.