plucking just the breast

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Toledo, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Toledo

Toledo Elite Refuge Member

Just thought I would post a cleaning technique I have been doing for a few years. Plucking only the breast. Then you can remove entire breast or cut the filets and leave the plucked skin on. The main reason for plucking ducks is to make use of the fat for flavor. Well we all know how much of a arsepain it is to entirely pluck and gut a bird. The feathers on the breast take about two seconds to remove and it leaves you with some nice skin and fat to help out your favorite recipe. Just brown them like you would before doing a normal pot roast bird and cover them with your normal stuffing before placing in oven. They come out almost as good as a whole bird and still make a good gravy. Kind of a compromise between plucking and breasting. This takes almost no more time than breasting but you can do a 4 man limit in the time it would normally take to pluck and gut a 1 man limit. And it doesnt take up any extra room in the freezer.

2. geese4u

geese4u Elite Refuge Member

I'll second what he said. I have done this as a shortcut when cleaning birds to roast. I like to leave them on the bone, because they seem to come out more tender.

Marinate the breasts in orange juice, garlic, soy sauce, and whiskey for a couple hours. I sear them in a pan with olive oil, and then put them in a 425 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Glaze them with a mixture of marmalade, soy sauce, garlic, and whiskey, and put them back in the oven for another 6-10 minutes.

Proportions for marinade:
    1 cup OJ
    1/4 cup Soy sauce
    1 crushed garlic clove
    1/4 cup whiskey

Proportions for glaze:
    Same as above except substitute marmalade for the OJ