Poaching Reward

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Fiestdog, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Fiestdog

Fiestdog New Member

Reward for information involving egret deaths on national wildlife refuge

BALD KNOB – The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are investigating the shooting of 10 great egrets on Bald Knob National Wildlife Refuge in White County. The egrets were found scattered throughout a field located near the northwest intersection of Huntsman and Coal Chute roads, a common hunting area for early season teal. A reward of up to $1,000 is being offered for information leading to a conviction of the person or persons responsible for killing the egrets.

USFWS Officer Branden Kieffer said the egrets were discovered Sept. 26. They were believed to have been shot between Sept. 23 and Sept. 25, according to Kieffer.

“Because this is believed to have taken place during the end of early teal season and the field where the egrets were located is commonly hunted for teal, someone may have seen or heard something that will help in our investigation,” Kieffer said. “We are hoping that anyone with information on who is responsible for the shooting of these egrets will step forward and provide information that will help us solve this case.”

The identity of anyone providing information will be kept confidential.

Great egrets are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a federal wildlife statute. They are commonly found throughout the United States and Mexico, gathering in loose flocks in areas where they can feed mainly on fish captured in shallow, open water. They were hunted nearly to extinction for their feathers in the 19th Century, sparking conservation movements and some of the first laws to protect birds. The great egret is the symbol of the National Audubon Society, one of the oldest environmental organizations in North America.

Anyone with information concerning the shooting of these egrets is asked to call Officer Kieffer at 879-919-6933 or call the AGFC’s Stop Poaching Hotline at 800-482-9262.

2. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

Snitches get stitches

3. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

This makes me sick. I hope they are caught and get the full limit of the law!

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. LODI QUACKER

LODI QUACKER Senior Refuge Member

You have a thing for egrets or something?

5. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Don't have a thing for egrets, but this is just stupid and pointless.

It's the kind of stunt that makes a NWR manager even more liable to shut down access, and from what I've heard, a lot of managers would be happy to gate everything off to everyone, especially hunters...turn them into giant parks nobody gets to look at...which means them doing their job matters even less....

6. MGDUCK2

MGDUCK2 Elite Refuge Member

They taste kinda like Bald Eagle......:l

7. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Meaningless killing of a specie for the sake of just killing is just bad for hunters and the human soul.. Yes I got something against that.

8. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

A little of the topic but this reminded me of an experience we had coming home from a goose hunt in Canada. We had a real good hunt with a mixed bag of birds including some blues which one of the guys in our party nick-named a Canadian bald eagle because of the white heads. Somewhere in Montana we hit a hunting check station. When asked what we were up to we gave the number of birds we had and where we got them. While giving the species and quantities the term bald eagle slipped out instead of blues. Lets just say the Montana Fish and Game didn't think that was funny. They did a thorough check of the vehicle to make sure we really didn't have any bald eagles stashed under the seats. This is even after we explained that it was a nick name for the blues. :doh:fp

9. MGDUCK2

MGDUCK2 Elite Refuge Member

So.....you shoot Skeet?? Clays? :l When I was a young man killing ANYTHING that flew was not meaningless....and If was a betting man, which I am, I'd bet this crime was committed by some bored young punks.......who were killing evrything that flew...probably had no idea they are a protected bird.....my guess anyway....:yes

fultz and Hardcore Waterfowler like this.
  10. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

^^^^This!