Poetic Justice

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by kchusker, Nov 11, 2017.

1. kchusker

kchusker Refuge Member

Hunted the SE zone opener at a marsh I had scouted. Avoiding the pandemonium in the morning, I was set up by 1:30PM. A greenhead came right into the decoys within 10 minutes. Several singles and doubles of greenwing teal buzzed me and I bagged one, but action slowed. At about 2:30, four guys arrived and set up about 150 yds downwind from me on the bank of the dike (a no no I think). I had scouted this marsh twice before, so I knew where the ducks wanted to be and was going to move anyway. I set up to these notheads' southeast farther out in the marsh and limited out while they never fired a shot. Filled my limit with a double on two beutiful greenwing drakes. As I was trudging back to my car, that foursome was moving to where I had been. I had been the only one there until they showed up and pi##ed me off. All's well that ends well.

wtrfwlr43 and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

What would have been poetic justice is if they had moved to your spot and not gotten another shot.

How many times have I been the only one in a whole, 1000+ acre pool, only to have another group come in an hour later and set up 200 yards downwind of me......

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Happened to me last year. Except he set up so close upwind every time birds decoyed to me he would yell take them, and I would wait a few seconds to let them get real close before shooting. Then he would compliment my shooting.

4. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

WOW!

5. Farmer hunter gatherer

Farmer hunter gatherer Refuge Member

That's what they make pumpkin balls for.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

:l Semi-long-distance hunting buddy!

Neck Collar likes this.
  7. bandcollector

bandcollector Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like the good ol' 1 for the bird 2 for the fight after scenario. I had that same thing happen at Cheney reservoir firing line years ago. Guys would actually hide in the weeds without decoys and claim our birds back then. My partner gave a bird to a guy who claimed he hit it one time.... that guys partner came and apologized after it was over and told us no way his buddy had shot the bird. Then there was the time I slipped a fourth shell in and knocked a bird down. The guys 100+ yards away came up to me thinking they had shot it at the same time I fired my fourth..... Since they didn't realize I reloaded.

Neck Collar likes this.