Pond Drainage for Jap Millet Plot

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by WhistlingWingsNC, Jul 31, 2017.

1. WhistlingWingsNC

WhistlingWingsNC New Member

I am currently draining a 1 acre farm pond with a 3" siphon. I am planning on broadcasting jap millet across the mudflats after the pond drains as much as possible. I wanted some input about when to broadcast the seed aka (before a storm, directly over mudflat after drainage,etc). I am not able to pull water off quickly besides a siphon so if a strong rain fills the pond to a foot or so will the millet be able to grow effectively? Just wanted some opinions or suggestions on what to do before season comes around.

2. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Without a more efficient means of controlling the water you're at the mercy of mother nature. Best you can do is to broadcast directly onto the mudflats as they become exposed. Depending on how quickly the water is drawn down, this may take a few days. After that, all you can do is hope for no turd floaters between emergence and maturity. Good news is, it's August. August - October are generally our driest months in the SE. Bad news is, it's August. Gonna need every ounce of moisture it can get out of the soil to get established in this heat and hope to catch a few showers over the next couple months. If you get a heavy rain and the millet is completely inundated for longer than 24 hrs, you'll more than likely lose a good chunk of it. Good luck and start looking to invest in a more efficient control structure to help stack the odds in your favor in the future.

JFG likes this.
  3. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

We just did the same thing with a smaller pond. Drained the pond on a Sunday, broadcast millet Monday and by Thursday morning we were seeing millet everywhere. By Saturday they were all an inch or so tall.

4. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

Its amazing what it will do on a newly exposed shiny wet mudflat. Put it on as soon as the water leaves. Otherwise the hot sun will "skin" over the mud and lessen your germ rate. Avoid the temptation to put it on too thick.

5. WhistlingWingsNC

Update:
    I was able to get the farmer's irrigation pump to drain the rest of the pond. I broadcasted the japanese millet seed onto the exposed mud flat and it exploded. Luckily, the pond received a perfect amount of rain the day after broadcasting the seed, and the millet germinated quite nicely. Fingers crossed that it doesn't get rained out and fully matures! Also, The millet that has already headed out was planted on the mudflat before the majority of the pond was drained. The millet is at approximately 4-5" in the center of the pond.
    I am trying to find a place to put a blind in on the bank of the pond. I was thinking a single blind on both sides to allow for multiple wind directions. The pond has plenty of brush and weeds to help brush the blind in.
    IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0643.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG

6. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

looks great, how many pounds did you plant ?

7. WhistlingWingsNC

Give or take 30-35 pounds. The pond is about 1.5 acres, it should make for a little honey hole

8. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

that's great, I had to plant around 50#s on my pond the Killdeers ate a ton of the seed, I also planted it 3 different times one early, one middle and a late just for the maturing times. The stuff heads out so quickly

9. WhistlingWingsNC

Millet has shot up this past week. The central area of the pond is now almost at 10"!