Pond enhancement

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by laughing mallard, Jan 3, 2018.

1. laughing mallard

laughing mallard Elite Refuge Member

Question for the brain trust;

Is there any recommended plants that I could plant in an approximate 3 acre pond that hold water all year? I have no idea how deep the center area of the pond is but there is a ledge around the perimeter of the pond that is just below waist deep. We are getting ready to conduct a fairly signifant habitat project on the property and part of this will include a water control structure that will allow me to lower the water depth during the spring/ summer months. The kicker is during the summer the pond gets a green hue( assume algae) so the water clarity is not the best, I think this is because there is little to no water flow as the pond seems to fill by seepage from the surrounding rice fields.

2. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

I'm not an expert, so I will cede the reigning opinion to them as they come along, but I think your seasonal algae issue would be resolved if you establish some sort of aquatic vegetation in the pond.

Also, if this big habitat project entails taking farmlands, cow pastures, short grass areas, etc. and turning them back to native grasses, tall grasses, wetlands, etc. you will see less algae due to less nutrient run-off (into the pond).

All that said, sago pondweed seems to be a crowd favorite, and you might have just the scenario to be able to get it started-draw the pond down to a shallow-ish depth and establish the sago pondweed by hand.